From: .Net Sports on
I have an item that goes into sql database coming from a select
pulldown list.:

option></select>

Level is an integer datatype in the dbase, and is either a numeral 1,
2 ,or 3

when trying to either update or insert into the dbase:

RSEVENTS("level") = cint(request("level"))

I get a vbscript Type mismatch: 'cint' on this line; get the same
error no matter if i leave the function blank " request("level")

??
NS

From: Bob Barrows on
..Net Sports wrote:
> I have an item that goes into sql database coming from a select
> pulldown list.:

> value=2>2</ option></select>
>
> Level is an integer datatype in the dbase, and is either a numeral 1,
> 2 ,or 3
>
> when trying to either update or insert into the dbase:
>
> RSEVENTS("level") = cint(request("level"))
>
> I get a vbscript Type mismatch: 'cint' on this line; get the same
> error no matter if i leave the function blank " request("level")
>
> ??
> NS
Show us the result of

Response.Write request("level")
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Evertjan. on
Bob Barrows wrote on 21 dec 2009 in

> .Net Sports wrote:
>> I have an item that goes into sql database coming from a select
>> pulldown list.:

>> value=2>2</ option></select>
>>
>> Level is an integer datatype in the dbase, and is either a numeral 1,
>> 2 ,or 3
>>
>> when trying to either update or insert into the dbase:
>>
>> RSEVENTS("level") = cint(request("level"))
>>
>> I get a vbscript Type mismatch: 'cint' on this line; get the same
>> error no matter if i leave the function blank " request("level")

What is "leaving the function blank?
What is "blank", an empty string?

Do you mean the argument of cint() ?

Cint() errors out if the argument is not convertable to a number,
so an empty string will give an error.

>> ??
>> NS
> Show us the result of
>
> Response.Write request("level")

This will possibly not help you, Bob,
as you cannot see the difference between
"1" and +1.

====================

and never never use request("level")

specify what type of request you want to read, like:

request.cookies("level")

request.form("level")

request.querystring("level")

Request.servervariables("..")

or other.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Bob Barrows on
Evertjan. wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote on 21 dec 2009 in
>
>> .Net Sports wrote:
>>> I have an item that goes into sql database coming from a select
>>> pulldown list.:

>>> value=2>2</ option></select>
>> Show us the result of
>>
>> Response.Write request("level")
>
> This will possibly not help you, Bob,
> as you cannot see the difference between
> "1" and +1.

Are you sure? Did you look at his source?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

From: .Net Sports on
On Dec 21, 3:14 pm, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...(a)interxnl.net> wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote on 21 dec 2009 in
>

> > .Net Sports wrote:
> >> I have an item that goes into sql database coming from a select
> >> pulldown list.:

> >> value=2>2</ option></select>
>
> >> Level is an integer datatype in the dbase, and is either a numeral 1,
> >> 2 ,or 3
>
> >> when trying to either update or insert into the dbase:
>
> >> RSEVENTS("level") = cint(request("level"))
>
> >>  I get a vbscript Type mismatch: 'cint'  on this line; get the same
> >> error no matter if i leave the function blank " request("level")
>
> What is "leaving the function blank?
> What is "blank", an empty string?
>
> Do you mean the argument of cint() ?
>
> Cint() errors out if the argument is not convertable to a number,
> so an empty string will give an error.
>
> >> ??
> >> NS
> > Show us the result of
>
> > Response.Write request("level")
>
> This will possibly not help you, Bob,
> as you cannot see the difference between
> "1" and +1.
>
> ====================
>
> and never never use request("level")
>
> specify what type of request you want to read, like:
>
> request.cookies("level")
>
> request.form("level")
>
> request.querystring("level")
>
> Request.servervariables("..")
>
> or other.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

If i don't need to change the Level when editing the record, then i
want to leave what their existing level number is in the first line of
the select option box: <select name=level><option value= SELECTED>"&
value=2>2</
option></select>

I tried response.writing the request("level") on the next page, and it
is blank , so something is not coming across in the post right:

<form action="resources-edit-post.asp?qencl=admin" name="frmUser"
Method="Post">
''' content
</form>