From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Why is reboot required?

"Greg" <greg(a)ram-software.com> wrote in message
On Mar 23, 1:10 pm, "Alexander Grigoriev" <al...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> Wrong approach. The first user login may not even have privileges required
> for your post-install phase. It's not your Windows 95 anymore, and it's
> been
> this way since Windows XP release. It's time to learn proper security
> considerations.
>
> What post-install steps yoyu need?
>
> By the way, you really want to put it into RunOnce instead if Run.

I have a front end app managing multiple installations - when step 1
installation completes, it requires a reboot before the next step
continues - which runs another install. I need a way for the process
to continue to the next install after the reboot w/o the user having
to manually restart the front end app.

Open to other designs but would like to work with the legacy app that
is already developed if I can.

From: David Ching on
> Hello,
>
> I have an app I created I need to run following a reboot after an
> installation - and I am using a key in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft
> \Windows\CurrentVersion\Run path of the registry to start the
> process.
>

> Running the app manually it works (I get a prompt with a warning
> coming from the UAC). But when run with the registry entry in place
> after reboot, if the UAC setting is enabled, the program does not
> start (and does not give any type of UAC warning prompt). If I
> disable the UAC setting it works fine after the reboot.

See http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/archive/2006/08/23/715265.aspx

Workaround: add your app to RunOnce instead of Run.

-- David