From: Lobster on
Denis McMahon wrote:
> On 31/07/10 07:10, Lobster wrote:
>
>> +44 01302 xxxxxx
>
> I'd be surprised if you got billed for calling a USA number, as you
> didn't dial a valid USA number. How many digits does the number shown on
> the bill have?

Yes, which was what I found odd too. The number on the bill is
001625xxxxxx (ie one more digit than a standard US one AFAIK).

> I'd also be surprised if the calls actually connected as dialled.

Well, they definitely did! and I was surprised too - hence my post. I
certainly phoned the individual concerned several times that month, and
have no recollection of there ever being even any problem connecting. I
also checked the full itemised bill, in case there were other
occurrences of the number in correct UK format; however there were none
at all.

Fortunately it's not a huge sum of money involved, so barely even worth
trying to whinge to Tesco about; I posted more out of curiosity.

David
From: Lobster on
Denis McMahon wrote:
> On 01/08/10 18:56, Lobster wrote:

>>> I'd be surprised if you got billed for calling a USA number, as you
>>> didn't dial a valid USA number. How many digits does the number shown on
>>> the bill have?
>> Yes, which was what I found odd too. The number on the bill is
>> 001625xxxxxx (ie one more digit than a standard US one AFAIK).

> Actually you come up one digit short for a US number.

True!

> In addition, there's no way that the 302 would become 625.

No, indeed... apologies for the confusion there: I originally quoted the
01302 code just as a random, anonymous but valid UK geographic code,
although the actual code I dialled was indeed 01625 - when I checked the
bill earlier I forgot I'd previously cited 01302... (!)

David
From: Dennis Ferguson on
On 2010-08-01, Lobster <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Denis McMahon wrote:
>> Actually you come up one digit short for a US number.
>
> True!
>
>> In addition, there's no way that the 302 would become 625.
>
> No, indeed... apologies for the confusion there: I originally quoted the
> 01302 code just as a random, anonymous but valid UK geographic code,
> although the actual code I dialled was indeed 01625 - when I checked the
> bill earlier I forgot I'd previously cited 01302... (!)

That's even better. There is no way you could have called a 001625
number because NANP area code 625 is unassigned. See, e.g.

http://www.nanpa.com/nas/public/npa_query_step1.do?method=resetNpaReportModel

Dennis Ferguson
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-08-01, Dennis Ferguson <dcferguson(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
> On 2010-08-01, Lobster <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Denis McMahon wrote:

[...]

>> No, indeed... apologies for the confusion there: I originally quoted the
>> 01302 code just as a random, anonymous but valid UK geographic code,
>> although the actual code I dialled was indeed 01625 - when I checked the
>> bill earlier I forgot I'd previously cited 01302... (!)
>
> That's even better. There is no way you could have called a 001625
> number because NANP area code 625 is unassigned. See, e.g.
>
> http://www.nanpa.com/nas/public/npa_query_step1.do?method=resetNpaReportModel
>
> Dennis Ferguson

So he's doing one impossible thing (getting connected to the correct
number although dialling the wrong number) and being charged for a
different impossible thing (connecting to a foreign number that doesn't
exist). Clearly the telco uses an infinite improbability device :))

--
-- Whiskers