From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.mobile Job Justification Hearings, Lobster
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> However it seems very odd to me. When the calls were placed:
> (a) How did the "+44" become interpreted as "0"?
> (b) Why did the calls connect to my UK contact without any problem at all?

Presumably you're not the only person who has made this mistake when
creating phone book entries, so the network has chosen to do what you mean
rather than what you say :-)

However, the billing doesn't match up with the calls you've made and
surprise surprise it's not in your favour.

> (c) In the light of (b), why was I charged for international calls?

The only people who can answer this question is Tesco.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
12:07:11 up 13 days, 2:38, 6 users, load average: 0.35, 1.44, 1.17

From: Denis McMahon on
On 01/08/10 00:30, Whiskers wrote:

> Somewhere along the line (probably in the call routing system) the
> spurious +44 or 0 was filtered out for connecting the call. Perhaps noise
> in the system can sometimes generate spurious 0s so the routing software
> knows to drop them automatically.

Nope. Number analysis doesn't ever assume that an invalid digit in a
given position can be safely discarded. It either fails the call as
invalid number or delivers it as dialled.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Denis McMahon on
On 31/07/10 12:15, alexd wrote:

> Presumably you're not the only person who has made this mistake when
> creating phone book entries, so the network has chosen to do what you mean
> rather than what you say :-)

Network doesn't do that, because the network doesn't actually know what
the customer meant.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: PeeGee on
On 01/08/10 15:18, Denis McMahon wrote:
> On 31/07/10 12:15, alexd wrote:
>
>> Presumably you're not the only person who has made this mistake when
>> creating phone book entries, so the network has chosen to do what you mean
>> rather than what you say :-)
>
> Network doesn't do that, because the network doesn't actually know what
> the customer meant.
>
> Rgds
>
> Denis McMahon

So... dialling a UK number (01.....) in Italy on my mobile won't
connect (even though my operator says it will)?

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
From: Denis McMahon on
On 01/08/10 15:46, PeeGee wrote:
> On 01/08/10 15:18, Denis McMahon wrote:
>> On 31/07/10 12:15, alexd wrote:
>>
>>> Presumably you're not the only person who has made this mistake when
>>> creating phone book entries, so the network has chosen to do what you
>>> mean
>>> rather than what you say :-)
>>
>> Network doesn't do that, because the network doesn't actually know what
>> the customer meant.

> So... dialling a UK number (01.....) in Italy on my mobile won't
> connect (even though my operator says it will)?

Different case. Your network is performing the number analysis that you
have been told it will.

It is perfectly valid for your network operator to handle calls however
it wishes. Obviously it's a good idea for them to make their customers
aware of what they need to dial under what conditions to reach a given
number.

What a network shouldn't (or even mustn't) do is assume that if you dial
001 you actually mean 01 (or vice-versa) unless you have been told that
it will do so.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
 |  Next  |  Last