From: Uri Guttman on

JK> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:50:46 -0400, "Uri Guttman" <uri(a)StemSystems.com>
JK> wrote:

JK> Do you expect all posts to ask for help? Why?
>>
>> because they usually do. nothing you posted was signifigant as it was
>> basic udp code that you can get from modules, books, documentation,
>> etc. it wasn't particularly interesting

JK> I didn't realize you are the only person who ever reads this ng. How
JK> rude of me to invade your territory! :-D

not rude at all. but an odd posting in any case. seriously, what was
your point? education? illumination?

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri(a)stemsystems.com -------- http://www.sysarch.com --
From: John Kelly on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:04:03 -0400, "Uri Guttman" <uri(a)StemSystems.com>
wrote:

> because they usually do. nothing you posted was signifigant as it was
> basic udp code that you can get from modules, books, documentation,
> etc. it wasn't particularly interesting

>not rude at all. but an odd posting in any case. seriously, what was
>your point? education? illumination?

It's easy to find INET socket example code, but harder to find UNIX
socket example code. Some of the few I found didn't work at all, and
Stein's example didn't explain the relationship between the Local and
Peer arguments when using SOCK_DGRAM.

Also, his example used sockaddr_un to get the server address, which is
not necessary if you're only talking to a single server. It's clearer
to simply specify Peer on the call to IO::Socket::UNIX.

But without prior experience on that particular problem, I didn't know
that. I had to learn by reading, trial and error, and I spent much more
time on it than I wanted to.

Not everyone has time to become a sockets or Perl expert, and finding an
easy recipe saves time. So I posted mine.

Once upon a time, Usenet users were friendly and generous. Maybe those
days are gone now, but I remember when ...

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Uri Guttman on

>> not rude at all. but an odd posting in any case. seriously, what was
>> your point? education? illumination?

JK> It's easy to find INET socket example code, but harder to find UNIX
JK> socket example code. Some of the few I found didn't work at all, and
JK> Stein's example didn't explain the relationship between the Local and
JK> Peer arguments when using SOCK_DGRAM.

you can also use sendto and not need a peer argument.

JK> But without prior experience on that particular problem, I didn't know
JK> that. I had to learn by reading, trial and error, and I spent much more
JK> time on it than I wanted to.

JK> Not everyone has time to become a sockets or Perl expert, and finding an
JK> easy recipe saves time. So I posted mine.

then you should say that. it wasn't clear what the purpose of your post
was.

JK> Once upon a time, Usenet users were friendly and generous. Maybe those
JK> days are gone now, but I remember when ...

and you are helping how with your comments? i just asked a question
which took you 3 replies to answer, why did you post this. instead you
flamed me until you actually answered it. i never attacked you, just
asked you why you posted it. simple.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri(a)stemsystems.com -------- http://www.sysarch.com --
From: John Kelly on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:15:14 -0400, "Uri Guttman" <uri(a)StemSystems.com>
wrote:

> JK> Once upon a time, Usenet users were friendly and generous. Maybe those
> JK> days are gone now, but I remember when ...
>
>and you are helping how with your comments? i just asked a question
>which took you 3 replies to answer, why did you post this. instead you
>flamed me until you actually answered it. i never attacked you,

Yes you did, you said my recipe was not interesting, implying my post
was worthless to anyone who might read it.

Some ngs are dominated by territorial control freaks who get upset when
someone unknown comes along and posts without bowing and scraping before
the self appointed elite.

But the way I see it, that's their problem, not mine.

From: Dr.Ruud on
John Kelly wrote:

> Please ignore bad practices in this code

And that made me stop reading. Next!

--
Ruud