From: Dave Francis on
On 25 May, 14:33, Nick Friend <nicktek...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Dave. I think I've tried every possible way of using SetAnsi,
> SetCollation etc., but the only way to avoid it seems to be to avoid
> using the CopyDB method.
>
> It's probably something very simple, but I just don't have the time to
> sit and go through it calmly as we have a client going hysterical, so
> I've done a quick manual fix to get round the immediate problem.
>
> By the way I've also found that the SetRelation that I referred to
> before is definitely causing problems with ADS. I've had to do a bit
> of emergency reprogramming to remove it from our code and do direct
> seeks instead. Having done that, things work ok. Have you ever had
> those sorts of issues?
>
> Nick

Nick,

Good to hear you're nailing it. Is the DBCopy using DBFCDX? Mike
Bertenshaw once said to me re ADS "Never mix RDDs". There must be
something about the way he said it, because I've always followed it to
the letter.

re SetRelation - we haven't used it for years. Our relationships are
complex and it was originally too slow for us.

Dave Francis

From: Jean-Pierre Maertens on
Hello Nick,

Very strange. Are you sure not to use SetSelectiveRelation ? I
noticed that went wrong years ago and since then I used OrderTopScope
and OrderBottomScope to define a scope in a detail-server.

Not having any problems with ADS, touching wood ;-)

--
Jean-Pierre Maertens

From: Nick Friend on
Jean-Pierre

Definitely SetRelation... I'd had to double check because the affected
code was VERY old. But it's code that's operated without fault in
Clipper, then with some tweaks into VO1, and since then virtually
unchanged... so at least 20 years old.

Good to hear that you have no problems with ADS... we've made a pretty
heavy commitment to move into ADS for replication, and of course there
are always initial problems whilst you get used to something new. But
it makes me nervous even though I know it's part of the process, so
it's good to hear something positive!

Just out of interest, as an ADS user, have you had any experience with
this other issue I'm sometimes getting? When the user changes from one
work directory to another (and so the code disconnects from one data
dictionary and connects to another one), we're getting an occasional
error from ADS that the handle is not valid when we try to open the
first tables, even though all the error checking has validated the
connection.

Very odd. And it's not consistent, just occasionally.

Nick

From: Jean-Pierre Maertens on
Nick,

I have never worked with several data dictionnaries in one program.
Can you explain why you are doing this ? Several years in accounting
program ?

greetings,

--
Jean-Pierre Maertens

From: Nick Friend on
It's a construction project management system. The users can choose to
keep all their projects in a single database, or have a separate one
for each project. Most prefer to keep them separate. So of course each
one has it's own dictionary and the users need to be able to move
between projects.

We've also started to use replication (which was the whole point of
moving to ADS), so each project has a mirrored database in the
building site, with ADS replicating changes between office and site
and vice-versa.

Nick

On 25 May, 16:23, Jean-Pierre Maertens <jean-
pierre.GEENSPAMmaert...(a)bruggeGEENSPAM.be> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> I have never worked with several data dictionnaries in one program.
> Can you explain why you are doing this ?  Several years in accounting
> program ?
>
> greetings,

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3