From: Olin K. McDaniel on
I've read and reread lots of related posts to my subject, but none
that quite fit my problem.

I've got one PC that's several years old, has a MB with USB 1.1
capability only and the CPU is a Pentium 3, 600MHz. I have it setup
with dual boot, into either Win98S.E. or Win2000, and have several
partitions that are accessible from either OS. There is a USB
scanner, a USB inkjet printer, and a USB memory card reader - all of
which are apparently USB 1.1 and have worked fine with either OS.

Recently I bought an external WD "My Book" 250 GB hard drive which is
made to use USB 2.0, plus a flash drive which apparently is basically
a USB 2.0 device. Both of these will work, but very slowly, in the
USB 1.1 sockets BUT only when in Win2000. Neither will work in Win98.

I am aware that Win98SE was not designed for USB 2.0, so I just
invested in a D-Link Model DU-560 card to plug into a PCI slot, and it
claimed to allow full USB 2.0 capability in Win98SE, WinMe, Win2000,
WinXP and even Mac OS 10.1. It even came with a CD containing what
was stated as the necessary drivers for all these OS'es. I installed
these EXACTLY as the manual instructed.

However, I've discovered to my disappointment, not all these claims
are valid, apparently. Neither the WD HDD nor the flash drive are
recognizable in Win98SE, yet both work at the USB 2.0 higher speed
when I boot to Win2000. And they are plugged into the same D-Link
adapter card in both cases.

I tried to get help from D-Link tech support, but it was a large waste
of time.

In all the posts I've studied, it appears I need a special driver for
each hardware device, specific for Win98SE, only thing is - I'm very
confused where to go to get them, and what to avoid. Can anyone give
me specific guidance to this specific problem and hopefully to a
simple solution?

Thanks,

Olin McDaniel

From: Graham W on

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
> I've read and reread lots of related posts to my subject, but none
> that quite fit my problem.
>
> I've got one PC that's several years old, has a MB with USB 1.1
> capability only and the CPU is a Pentium 3, 600MHz. I have it setup
> with dual boot, into either Win98S.E. or Win2000, and have several
> partitions that are accessible from either OS. There is a USB
> scanner, a USB inkjet printer, and a USB memory card reader - all of
> which are apparently USB 1.1 and have worked fine with either OS.
>
> Recently I bought an external WD "My Book" 250 GB hard drive which is
> made to use USB 2.0, plus a flash drive which apparently is basically
> a USB 2.0 device. Both of these will work, but very slowly, in the
> USB 1.1 sockets BUT only when in Win2000. Neither will work in Win98.
>

> I am aware that Win98SE was not designed for USB 2.0, so I just
> invested in a D-Link Model DU-560 card to plug into a PCI slot, and it
> claimed to allow full USB 2.0 capability in Win98SE, WinMe, Win2000,
> WinXP and even Mac OS 10.1. It even came with a CD containing what
> was stated as the necessary drivers for all these OS'es. I installed
> these EXACTLY as the manual instructed.
>
> However, I've discovered to my disappointment, not all these claims
> are valid, apparently. Neither the WD HDD nor the flash drive are
> recognizable in Win98SE, yet both work at the USB 2.0 higher speed
> when I boot to Win2000. And they are plugged into the same D-Link
> adapter card in both cases.
>
> I tried to get help from D-Link tech support, but it was a large waste
> of time.
>
> In all the posts I've studied, it appears I need a special driver for
> each hardware device, specific for Win98SE, only thing is - I'm very
> confused where to go to get them, and what to avoid. Can anyone give
> me specific guidance to this specific problem and hopefully to a
> simple solution?

Maybe you need to get the current m/board driver CD ( or an image of it),
and look for the chipset drivers. More info about the m/board (make
& model) and current BIOS revision may ring a bell in someone's
grey matter!

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
From: Shep� on
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:16:24 GMTWhilst not letting inanimate objects
know we are in a hurry omcdaniel.abcd(a)mindspring.com (Olin K.
McDaniel) sent this :

>In all the posts I've studied, it appears I need a special driver for
>each hardware device, specific for Win98SE, only thing is - I'm very
>confused where to go to get them, and what to avoid. Can anyone give
>me specific guidance to this specific problem and hopefully to a
>simple solution?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Olin McDaniel

Try the,"OrangeWare" USB 2.00 drivers,
http://www.orangeware.com/developers/faq_usb2.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: user on

"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message news:45d4c52f.17356345(a)news.east.earthlink.net...
> I've read and reread lots of related posts to my subject, but none
> that quite fit my problem.
>
> I've got one PC that's several years old, has a MB with USB 1.1
> capability only and the CPU is a Pentium 3, 600MHz. I have it setup
> with dual boot, into either Win98S.E. or Win2000, and have several
> partitions that are accessible from either OS. There is a USB
> scanner, a USB inkjet printer, and a USB memory card reader - all of
> which are apparently USB 1.1 and have worked fine with either OS.
>
> Recently I bought an external WD "My Book" 250 GB hard drive which is
> made to use USB 2.0, plus a flash drive which apparently is basically
> a USB 2.0 device. Both of these will work, but very slowly, in the
> USB 1.1 sockets BUT only when in Win2000. Neither will work in Win98.
>

> I am aware that Win98SE was not designed for USB 2.0, so I just
> invested in a D-Link Model DU-560 card to plug into a PCI slot, and it
> claimed to allow full USB 2.0 capability in Win98SE, WinMe, Win2000,
> WinXP and even Mac OS 10.1. It even came with a CD containing what
> was stated as the necessary drivers for all these OS'es. I installed
> these EXACTLY as the manual instructed.
>
> However, I've discovered to my disappointment, not all these claims
> are valid, apparently. Neither the WD HDD nor the flash drive are
> recognizable in Win98SE, yet both work at the USB 2.0 higher speed
> when I boot to Win2000. And they are plugged into the same D-Link
> adapter card in both cases.
>
> I tried to get help from D-Link tech support, but it was a large waste
> of time.
>
> In all the posts I've studied, it appears I need a special driver for
> each hardware device, specific for Win98SE, only thing is - I'm very
> confused where to go to get them, and what to avoid. Can anyone give
> me specific guidance to this specific problem and hopefully to a
> simple solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olin McDaniel

http://www.buslinkbuy.com/file/USB2MassStorage_v1019.zip

As others have said..make sure you`ve got your motherboard chipset
drivers up to date, and then install `the above` download...it works for
me.

http://www.buslinkbuy.com/file/USB2MassStorage_v1019.zip

From: Mij on
user wrote:
> "Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message news:45d4c52f.17356345(a)news.east.earthlink.net...
>> I've read and reread lots of related posts to my subject, but none
>> that quite fit my problem.
>>
>> I've got one PC that's several years old, has a MB with USB 1.1
>> capability only and the CPU is a Pentium 3, 600MHz. I have it setup
>> with dual boot, into either Win98S.E. or Win2000, and have several
>> partitions that are accessible from either OS. There is a USB
>> scanner, a USB inkjet printer, and a USB memory card reader - all of
>> which are apparently USB 1.1 and have worked fine with either OS.
>>
>> Recently I bought an external WD "My Book" 250 GB hard drive which is
>> made to use USB 2.0, plus a flash drive which apparently is basically
>> a USB 2.0 device. Both of these will work, but very slowly, in the
>> USB 1.1 sockets BUT only when in Win2000. Neither will work in Win98.
>>

>> I am aware that Win98SE was not designed for USB 2.0, so I just
>> invested in a D-Link Model DU-560 card to plug into a PCI slot, and it
>> claimed to allow full USB 2.0 capability in Win98SE, WinMe, Win2000,
>> WinXP and even Mac OS 10.1. It even came with a CD containing what
>> was stated as the necessary drivers for all these OS'es. I installed
>> these EXACTLY as the manual instructed.
>>
>> However, I've discovered to my disappointment, not all these claims
>> are valid, apparently. Neither the WD HDD nor the flash drive are
>> recognizable in Win98SE, yet both work at the USB 2.0 higher speed
>> when I boot to Win2000. And they are plugged into the same D-Link
>> adapter card in both cases.
>>
>> I tried to get help from D-Link tech support, but it was a large waste
>> of time.
>>
>> In all the posts I've studied, it appears I need a special driver for
>> each hardware device, specific for Win98SE, only thing is - I'm very
>> confused where to go to get them, and what to avoid. Can anyone give
>> me specific guidance to this specific problem and hopefully to a
>> simple solution?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Olin McDaniel
>>
> http://www.buslinkbuy.com/file/USB2MassStorage_v1019.zip
>
> As others have said..make sure you`ve got your motherboard chipset
> drivers up to date, and then install `the above` download...it works for
> me.
>
> http://www.buslinkbuy.com/file/USB2MassStorage_v1019.zip

I have heard that a USB controller can be fussy about what devices it
shares interrupts with, so it may also be worth looking at Control
panel> System> Properties and checking that Win98SE sets up the IRQs the
same as Win2000 does.