From: Paul on
The two USB ports have slowed down on my Dimension 3000.

When I plug my SD card adaptor in it says that it could perform faster.

I have tried uninstalling all the USB drivers in the device manager, and
they reinstalled successfully again on a reboot, but with the same problem.

What may be causing this?

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> The two USB ports have slowed down on my Dimension 3000.

All of the Dimension 3000's integrated USB ports are USB 2.0 ports.

Which two ports are you talking about?

Have you tried one of the ports on the back of the system to see if
the problem persists?

It is possible that the SmartCard reader is malfunctioning or that it
cannot function reliably when connected to the front ports. It is also
possible that some of the USB circuitry on the motherboard has failed,
but I seriously doubt it.

Is there any kind of USB hub in between the card reader and the
computer? How long is the cable connecting the card reader to the
computer?

William
From: Paul on

"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi!

> The two USB ports have slowed down on my Dimension 3000.

All of the Dimension 3000's integrated USB ports are USB 2.0 ports.

Which two ports are you talking about?

Have you tried one of the ports on the back of the system to see if
the problem persists?

It is possible that the SmartCard reader is malfunctioning or that it
cannot function reliably when connected to the front ports. It is also
possible that some of the USB circuitry on the motherboard has failed,
but I seriously doubt it.

Is there any kind of USB hub in between the card reader and the
computer? How long is the cable connecting the card reader to the
computer?

William

Hi

It is the front two I usually use, but I have tried the back 2 and they give
the same message.

I am starting to suspect the card reader, it calls itself USB2.0 multi
reader, and it didn't originally raise the "faster" message on inserting.

I have just tried it on a windows 7 and that doesn't give any message, but
the transfer rate is slow.

Thanks
Paul

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> It is the front two I usually use, but I have tried the back 2 and
> they give the same message.

Okay. I think you can rule out the computer itself, especially if your
other USB devices work normally.

It could be that the card reader has gone bad and won't properly
negotiate a USB 2.0 data rate. Or it could be that it never was a USB
2.0 device and is rigged up to somehow report itself as one.

William
From: Paul on

>Okay. I think you can rule out the computer itself, especially if your
>other USB devices work normally.

>It could be that the card reader has gone bad and won't properly
>negotiate a USB 2.0 data rate. Or it could be that it never was a USB
>2.0 device and is rigged up to somehow report itself as one.

>William

New Reader on order, it should be here tomorrow

Paul