From: Pete10016 on
My computer is somewhat out dated. I hear that USB 3.0 is going to come out
(in fact, it should be out now). Anyway, is it worth waiting for??

From: Paul on
Pete10016 wrote:
> My computer is somewhat out dated. I hear that USB 3.0 is going to come
> out (in fact, it should be out now). Anyway, is it worth waiting for??

You can buy a USB3 plugin card, if you want it. There is no need
to buy a new computer, to get USB3.

(USB3 using NEC chip, PCI Express x1 Revision 2 interface)

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-201-032-Z01?$S640W$

You do have to be careful though, to get the full potential bandwidth
of USB3. The current chip available to do the job (a NEC device),
uses a PCI Express x1 revision 2 interface (500MB/sec). A suitable
slot for that card, is not available on every computer with PCI
Express slots. Generally speaking, a modern motherboard video
card slot (x16) is likely to be revision 2, so if you wanted to
do some "max bandwidth" experiments with your new USB3 card,
then try plugging it into a video card slot.

If you don't plug it into a Revision 2 slot, the card still works,
but can't go any faster than 250MB/sec. And in a lot of cases,
the peripheral isn't capable of going full speed any way.

My current motherboard, has two video card slots, and they're
PCI Express x16 Revision 2.0. I could buy a USB3 card, and plug it
into the video card slot I'm not currently using. And then I'd
be assured of getting a Revision 2.0 slot. Many of the PCI
Express x1 slots on motherboards now, are Revision 1 and
only operate at 250MB/sec.

Even if you "buy a new computer with USB3", be aware that a
lazy computer designer could connect the NEC chip to a revision 1
lane on the motherboard, and not tell you. You'd only discover
this fact, when doing a bandwidth test with a super-fast device
of some sort.

Paul
From: Pete10016 on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Pete10016 wrote:
>> My computer is somewhat out dated. I hear that USB 3.0 is going to come
>> out (in fact, it should be out now). Anyway, is it worth waiting for??
>>

> You can buy a USB3 plugin card, if you want it. There is no need
> to buy a new computer, to get USB3.
>
> (USB3 using NEC chip, PCI Express x1 Revision 2 interface)
>
> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-201-032-Z01?$S640W$
>
> You do have to be careful though, to get the full potential bandwidth
> of USB3. The current chip available to do the job (a NEC device),
> uses a PCI Express x1 revision 2 interface (500MB/sec). A suitable
> slot for that card, is not available on every computer with PCI
> Express slots. Generally speaking, a modern motherboard video
> card slot (x16) is likely to be revision 2, so if you wanted to
> do some "max bandwidth" experiments with your new USB3 card,
> then try plugging it into a video card slot.
>
> If you don't plug it into a Revision 2 slot, the card still works,
> but can't go any faster than 250MB/sec. And in a lot of cases,
> the peripheral isn't capable of going full speed any way.
>
> My current motherboard, has two video card slots, and they're
> PCI Express x16 Revision 2.0. I could buy a USB3 card, and plug it
> into the video card slot I'm not currently using. And then I'd
> be assured of getting a Revision 2.0 slot. Many of the PCI
> Express x1 slots on motherboards now, are Revision 1 and
> only operate at 250MB/sec.
>
> Even if you "buy a new computer with USB3", be aware that a
> lazy computer designer could connect the NEC chip to a revision 1
> lane on the motherboard, and not tell you. You'd only discover
> this fact, when doing a bandwidth test with a super-fast device
> of some sort.
>
> Paul
Thanks.