From: Salvatore Uras on
Hello everybody - as a newcomer, I beg your pardon for submitting,
maybe, an old question - I admit having no patience for deep scavenging,
and after about a week of googling into forums and reading all sorts of
discussions, I decided to simply ask.

I own a Windows Mobile 6.0 PDA, and I'm trying to switch almost
completely to Linux (OpenSUSE 11.02) for my daily work. Nevertheless,
sometimes it's necessary to access to Windows, so I also use Wine and
Xen: some pieces of software are installed on the emulation, and I have
a Windows 7 virtual machine for what can't be emulated. BTW, I'm also
writing a manual for a piece of software that uses an USB dongle to
allow registered access.

My situation is as follows: I can't obtain real access to any USB
peripheral under any type of virtual machine (commercial ones aren't an
option):
* Xen should be able by editing the VM's config file, but it doesn't work.
* VirtualBox can't deal with USB.
* VMWare Server perceives their existence, but when asked, refuses to
use them because of "errors in data flow".

So, the question is: has anybody had experience in dealing with Windows
under Linux (emulated or VM) and ActiveSync or, more generally, USB
peripherals?

Thanks for patiently reading ;-),

Salvatore.

From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 13 May 2010 09:22, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Salvatore Uras painted this mural:

<snip>

> * VirtualBox can't deal with USB.

Get the version from Sun. The OSE version of VirtualBox doesn't have
USB support, but the version they supply does. The latest version is
here:

<http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.1.8/VirtualBox-3.1-3.1.8_61349_openSUSE111-1.x86_64.rpm>

Yes, it is supposedly for openSUSE 11.1 but works perfectly well with
openSUSE 11.2.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M4 32b

From: Darklight on
on my windows mobile. i done this
go to start menu then settings -> connections ->
usb to pc then check disk drive. Then when you
connect you mobile to pc it shows up as a usb stick.

this is all done in OpenSuse 11.2

From: Salvatore Uras on
Il 13/05/2010 10:50, David Bolt ha scritto:
>> * VirtualBox can't deal with USB.
>
> Get the version from Sun. The OSE version of VirtualBox doesn't have
> USB support, [...]
Done and installed, thank you, I actually had only the OSE version in
all repositories. Seems to work better (seen and installed the USB
dongle), but still no ActiveSync. Fault of Redmond's taste for black
magic? They always must try to disrupt all standards... It's a precise
commercial/political choice, IMO. Anyway, I'm starting to seee the light
:-) Thank you very much for now, if something else happens I'll post the
good (or bad) news.

Salvatore.

From: Salvatore Uras on
Il 13/05/2010 14:42, Darklight ha scritto:
> on my windows mobile. i done this
> go to start menu then settings -> connections ->
> usb to pc then check disk drive. Then when you
> connect you mobile to pc it shows up as a usb stick.

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately the damn thing
(HTC Touch Diamond) won't work, even in USB disk mode.
Windows 7 automatically installed the network driver it uses to
interface with the modem, I suppose, but nothing else.
I'll have to check on my surviving Windows installation
to see which drivers are loaded and which hardware is seen.
Thanks again anyway, everythings helps to cut the problem
down to its real size.

Salvatore.