From: Hans on
I am running Suse 11.2 and Sun VirtualBox 3.1.8 r61349 with a 11.2,
Win2K, Win 32 bit and Win7 64 bit and have a very strange problem.

- Install VirtualBox, all works fine

- do On-line update (not VirtualBox) or install other software using Yast.

- Exec bit on /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox is removed.

- Can not start VirtualBox until manually resetting the exec bit to
allow excecution of /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.

All other files are not effected.

Does anyone has a similar problem?

Hans

From: Eike Neumann on
Hans wrote:

> I am running Suse 11.2 and Sun VirtualBox 3.1.8 r61349 with
a 11.2,
> Win2K, Win 32 bit and Win7 64 bit and have a very strange
problem.

> - Install VirtualBox, all works fine
>
> - do On-line update (not VirtualBox) or install other
software using Yast.

> - Exec bit on /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox is removed.
>
> - Can not start VirtualBox until manually resetting the
exec bit to
> allow excecution of /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.
>
> All other files are not effected.
>
> Does anyone has a similar problem?
>
> Hans
Hi Hans,
may be you need to recompile the kernel modules of
virtualbox, because of an upgrade of the kernel. Please try
as root: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup. This should compile the
kernel modules. But you need to have installed the
development packages!
--
MfG
Eike Neumann
From: Hans on
On 26/05/10 07:28, Eike Neumann wrote:
> Hans wrote:
>
>> I am running Suse 11.2 and Sun VirtualBox 3.1.8 r61349 with
> a 11.2,
>> Win2K, Win 32 bit and Win7 64 bit and have a very strange
> problem.
>>
>> - Install VirtualBox, all works fine
>>
>> - do On-line update (not VirtualBox) or install other
> software using Yast.
>>
>> - Exec bit on /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox is removed.
>>
>> - Can not start VirtualBox until manually resetting the
> exec bit to
>> allow excecution of /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.
>>
>> All other files are not effected.
>>
>> Does anyone has a similar problem?
>>
>> Hans
> Hi Hans,
> may be you need to recompile the kernel modules of
> virtualbox, because of an upgrade of the kernel. Please try
> as root: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup. This should compile the
> kernel modules. But you need to have installed the
> development packages!

Hi Eike,
Thanks for the tip. Problem solved. It's working now.
Hans