From: Ray on
When I try to load the USB 2.0 driver from the motherboard (Asus
A7V400-MX) driver CD, it gives the following message and prevents me
from taking the driver from the CD:

"USB 2.0 Driver Installation for Windows 2000

Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
We suggest you to download Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
because Microsoft EHCI drivers are included."

I already have W2K Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4) installed,
so the message is puzzling.

Asus's download page shows a USB 2.0 driver for download, but it's
dated 12/18/03. I bought the mobo in Dec 2004, so I'm reluctant to d/l a
driver that may be too old.

Device Manager says "The drivers for this device are not installed.
(Code 28)." When I click on Reinstall, the Wizard gets to a point where
it says it found "a closer match for this device than your current
driver" at c:\winnt\inf\oem7.inf. When I click on Next, and allow it to
search the mobo CD, I eventually get a message that says "the
installation failed because a function driver was not specified for the
driver instance."

I've tried removing the controller and reinstalling it. No luck.

I've also gone through this procedure with no luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819332

Thanks for your ideas.

Ray

From: Paul on
In article <_p5Df.6$Fe1.5(a)fe10.lga>, Ray <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote:

> When I try to load the USB 2.0 driver from the motherboard (Asus
> A7V400-MX) driver CD, it gives the following message and prevents me
> from taking the driver from the CD:
>
> "USB 2.0 Driver Installation for Windows 2000
>
> Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
> We suggest you to download Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
> because Microsoft EHCI drivers are included."
>
> I already have W2K Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4) installed,
> so the message is puzzling.
>
> Asus's download page shows a USB 2.0 driver for download, but it's
> dated 12/18/03. I bought the mobo in Dec 2004, so I'm reluctant to d/l a
> driver that may be too old.
>
> Device Manager says "The drivers for this device are not installed.
> (Code 28)." When I click on Reinstall, the Wizard gets to a point where
> it says it found "a closer match for this device than your current
> driver" at c:\winnt\inf\oem7.inf. When I click on Next, and allow it to
> search the mobo CD, I eventually get a message that says "the
> installation failed because a function driver was not specified for the
> driver instance."
>
> I've tried removing the controller and reinstalling it. No luck.
>
> I've also gone through this procedure with no luck.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819332
>
> Thanks for your ideas.
>
> Ray

Try the cleanup procedure. By deleting the devices from Device
Manager, the OS will discover the devices as new hardware on
the next reboot, and then install the built-in USB2 drives of
Win2K SP4.

"Cleanup Windows Device Manager in SAFE MODE"
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

"How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support (Enhanced)"
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

"USB 2.0 Latest News and Information"
http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

HTH,
Paul
From: Ray on
Paul wrote:
> In article <_p5Df.6$Fe1.5(a)fe10.lga>, Ray <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>When I try to load the USB 2.0 driver from the motherboard (Asus
>>A7V400-MX) driver CD, it gives the following message and prevents me
>>from taking the driver from the CD:
>>
>>"USB 2.0 Driver Installation for Windows 2000
>>
>>Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
>>We suggest you to download Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
>>because Microsoft EHCI drivers are included."
>>
>>I already have W2K Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4) installed,
>>so the message is puzzling.
>>
>>Asus's download page shows a USB 2.0 driver for download, but it's
>>dated 12/18/03. I bought the mobo in Dec 2004, so I'm reluctant to d/l a
>>driver that may be too old.
>>
>>Device Manager says "The drivers for this device are not installed.
>>(Code 28)." When I click on Reinstall, the Wizard gets to a point where
>>it says it found "a closer match for this device than your current
>>driver" at c:\winnt\inf\oem7.inf. When I click on Next, and allow it to
>>search the mobo CD, I eventually get a message that says "the
>>installation failed because a function driver was not specified for the
>>driver instance."
>>
>>I've tried removing the controller and reinstalling it. No luck.
>>
>>I've also gone through this procedure with no luck.
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819332
>>
>>Thanks for your ideas.
>>
>>Ray
>

> Try the cleanup procedure. By deleting the devices from Device
> Manager, the OS will discover the devices as new hardware on
> the next reboot, and then install the built-in USB2 drives of
> Win2K SP4.
>
> "Cleanup Windows Device Manager in SAFE MODE"
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm
>
> "How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support (Enhanced)"
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm
>
> "USB 2.0 Latest News and Information"
> http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul,

I've gone through the detailed SAFE MODE procedure outline in your first
reference. After reinstalling everything, the same problem existed.

At one point during the reinstallation I got the following message: "The
installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this
device instance." I googled around trying to find a solution to it, but
couldn't.

As stated in my original post, the motherboard driver CD wouldn't let me
load its USB2.0 driver, via its menu, because the driver is included in
SP4. So instead I used Explore, navigated on the CD to the Drivers/USB2
folder, and double-clicked on Setup.exe. That installed the USB 2.0
driver. Device Manager now shows the first entry under Universal Serial
Bus controllers as USB 2.0 Root Hub, and the yellow exclamation mark has
finally disappeared.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Ray
From: Paul on
In article <Z%vDf.104$MW3.78(a)fe11.lga>, Ray <raykosXXX(a)optonline.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Paul,
>
> I've gone through the detailed SAFE MODE procedure outline in your first
> reference. After reinstalling everything, the same problem existed.
>
> At one point during the reinstallation I got the following message: "The
> installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this
> device instance." I googled around trying to find a solution to it, but
> couldn't.
>
> As stated in my original post, the motherboard driver CD wouldn't let me
> load its USB2.0 driver, via its menu, because the driver is included in
> SP4. So instead I used Explore, navigated on the CD to the Drivers/USB2
> folder, and double-clicked on Setup.exe. That installed the USB 2.0
> driver. Device Manager now shows the first entry under Universal Serial
> Bus controllers as USB 2.0 Root Hub, and the yellow exclamation mark has

Actually, there are a few web pages with info on that error. In some cases,
the users blamed it on a bad USB cable. Presumably, the device information
coming through the USB port was corrupt and confused Windows. A few of
the scenarios on these web pages, are involving a USB device that is
plugged into the computer (so the problem arises when installing software
for a new USB device).

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=installation+failed+because+a+function+driver&kgs=1&kls=0&stq=10

A theory here, is that the error message happens when you install drivers
for the wrong OS. This is one reason I don't recommend installing just
any old USB driver you can find, mainly because I've read warnings before
about Microsoft hotfixes and how a service pack and a hotfix can interfere
with one another.

http://www.isp.net.au/~merrick/Function_Driver/Function_Driver.htm

Anyway, have a look through the pages off the first link and see what you
think.

Paul
From: Ray on

>>Paul,
>>
>>I've gone through the detailed SAFE MODE procedure outline in your first
>>reference. After reinstalling everything, the same problem existed.
>>
>>At one point during the reinstallation I got the following message: "The
>>installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this
>>device instance." I googled around trying to find a solution to it, but
>>couldn't.
>>
>>As stated in my original post, the motherboard driver CD wouldn't let me
>>load its USB2.0 driver, via its menu, because the driver is included in
>>SP4. So instead I used Explore, navigated on the CD to the Drivers/USB2
>>folder, and double-clicked on Setup.exe. That installed the USB 2.0
>>driver. Device Manager now shows the first entry under Universal Serial
>>Bus controllers as USB 2.0 Root Hub, and the yellow exclamation mark has
>>finally disappeared.
>>
>>Thanks for you suggestions.
>>
>>Ray
>

> Actually, there are a few web pages with info on that error. In some cases,
> the users blamed it on a bad USB cable. Presumably, the device information
> coming through the USB port was corrupt and confused Windows. A few of
> the scenarios on these web pages, are involving a USB device that is
> plugged into the computer (so the problem arises when installing software
> for a new USB device).
>
> http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=installation+failed+because+a+function+driver&kgs=1&kls=0&stq=10
>
> A theory here, is that the error message happens when you install drivers
> for the wrong OS. This is one reason I don't recommend installing just
> any old USB driver you can find, mainly because I've read warnings before
> about Microsoft hotfixes and how a service pack and a hotfix can interfere
> with one another.
>
> http://www.isp.net.au/~merrick/Function_Driver/Function_Driver.htm
>
> Anyway, have a look through the pages off the first link and see what you
> think.

Paul,

I like the info in the second link; I wish I had come across it earlier.
Now that things are working okay, I'm not going to make any changes, but
I will keep your caution about possible conflicts with hotfixes in mind.

Thanks,

Ray