From: Paul on
In article <v5fns19uok0lu4gbdokqcqholafhvhgehr(a)4ax.com>, Here only wrote:

> Can any of you ASUS guru's point me to the correct site?
>
> At POST,
>
> Phoenix v6.00PG
>
> c 2005 HP Rev 3.13
>
> 11/15/2005-RS482-SB400-Amberine-00
>
> I picked up one of these at a CompUSA clearance yesterday, Sunday. The
> total with "mods" after rebates was about $225. I put in a GB of
> generic RAM, and transferred my XP-Pro/SP2 from an old 500 mHz Celeron
> PC. After these two simple mods, this sucker runs great!
>
> ASUS's site does not have this model listed by 'A8AE' or anything
> close. I'd like to find a manual, and drivers.
>
> For drivers, specifically "SM Bus Controller" drivers for XP-SP2
>
> Thanks
> Rich

The "Amberine" OEM board is mentioned here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00496044&lc=en

As you note, the board uses RS482 and SB400, both chips from ATI.
RS482 is termed "ATI Express200 family", a term used to refer to
more than one Northbridge. According to this, the RS482 is a
die shrink of the RS480:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2430

There doesn't appear to be a direct equivalent of this board
on the Asus site. It would appear for each retail motherboard
featuring Express200 chipset, that Asus used a ULI Southbridge.
This gets around a small performance problem with USB2 on
the SB400.

You can go to the ATI web site, to get drivers. The Southbridge
driver package has an SMBUS entry in it. You'll need at least
the display driver to make any integrated graphics work in accelerated
mode. The Catalyst Control Center needs ".NET", which would be another
download from Microsoft if you don't already have it. (I don't
know what CCC would do for you with respect to the RS482.) The
network driver is in the Southbridge package. The VT6307 should
have a driver in Windows.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

If that is a Realtek AC97 chip on there (it is hard to make out
in the line drawing), then an AC97 driver is here. It may take
more than one file from here, to complete the job. Try just the
driver first, and if you don't have a mixer panel, then try the
AVRack next.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

Generally what happens with respect to the Super I/O chip, is Asus
always uses some goofy chip that they don't use on their retail
boards. You may want to look into MBM5 (mbm.livewiredev.com) or
speedfan (almico.com) as a means of getting hardware monitor output.
If you look in the BIOS, and there is a BIOS page with temps, fan
speeds, and voltages listed, then chances are it is worth looking
into MBM5 or Speedfan. There is no particular reason to expect
Asus Probe or Asus Probe II to be able to read that Super I/O chip -
I expect they use an off-brand chip to make life harder for the
end-user, or only allow some HP/Compaq utility to read out the
info. Since I cannot read the chip number, I don't even know what
it is. Normally the chips used are made by Winbond or ITEusa.com

Have fun,
Paul