From: Des on
Hi,
I really hope someone can help because this is driving me crazy & I hope I
am in the correct place.

I recently purchased a Next 350N external hard drive - USB 2.0 with Samsung
160Gb of memory. I have a Tiny Powerlite G930 laptopwhich uses American
Megatrends bios version 080009 s.3. I am using Xp with service pack 2.

I connected the device & as prompted I downloaded the necessary driver.
This I had presumed would make the device realily accessible, however it is
seen as a disc drive & the device is reported as working correctly.

However, there is no drive letter assigned & when I open 'my computer' it is
not displayed. I have attempted to name it with a letter, but this makes no
difference.

Any other usb device I use works perfectly & appears as expected in my
computer with a drive letter assigned.

I tried the external hdd on a friends pc & it worked immediately -
absolutely no problems & all was perfect. He too uses Xp on a Dell laptop.

I feel I have tried everything & have researched extensively for a solution
but to no avail. The attempts have included,

1) Removing the driver & then re-installing it when prompted.
2) Removing additional drives - as in PCMIA card drives to ensure a letter
is available.
3) Trying partitioning, & naming of the external device.
4) I also have tried every usb port on my pc.

So, if anyone can help I will be greatly appreciative. My main concern is
that no external hdd will function on my pc. Thank you anyone & everyone for
your time.

Des
From: Malke on
Des wrote:

> Hi,
> I really hope someone can help because this is driving me crazy & I
> hope I am in the correct place.
>
> I recently purchased a Next 350N external hard drive - USB 2.0 with
> Samsung
> 160Gb of memory. I have a Tiny Powerlite G930 laptopwhich uses
> American
> Megatrends bios version 080009 s.3. I am using Xp with service pack
> 2.
>
> I connected the device & as prompted I downloaded the necessary
> driver. This I had presumed would make the device realily accessible,
> however it is seen as a disc drive & the device is reported as working
> correctly.
>
> However, there is no drive letter assigned & when I open 'my computer'
> it is
> not displayed. I have attempted to name it with a letter, but this
> makes no difference.
>
> Any other usb device I use works perfectly & appears as expected in my
> computer with a drive letter assigned.
>
> I tried the external hdd on a friends pc & it worked immediately -
> absolutely no problems & all was perfect. He too uses Xp on a Dell
> laptop.
>
> I feel I have tried everything & have researched extensively for a
> solution
> but to no avail. The attempts have included,
>
> 1) Removing the driver & then re-installing it when prompted.
> 2) Removing additional drives - as in PCMIA card drives to ensure a
> letter is available.
> 3) Trying partitioning, & naming of the external device.
> 4) I also have tried every usb port on my pc.
>
> So, if anyone can help I will be greatly appreciative. My main
> concern is
> that no external hdd will function on my pc. Thank you anyone &
> everyone for your time.
>
> Des

Does the external hard drive have its own power supply? If you are
expecting it to get power from your laptop, perhaps your laptop can't
supply enough.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
From: Des on

"Malke" wrote:

> Des wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I really hope someone can help because this is driving me crazy & I
> > hope I am in the correct place.
> >
> > I recently purchased a Next 350N external hard drive - USB 2.0 with
> > Samsung
> > 160Gb of memory. I have a Tiny Powerlite G930 laptopwhich uses
> > American
> > Megatrends bios version 080009 s.3. I am using Xp with service pack
> > 2.
> >
> > I connected the device & as prompted I downloaded the necessary
> > driver. This I had presumed would make the device realily accessible,
> > however it is seen as a disc drive & the device is reported as working
> > correctly.
> >
> > However, there is no drive letter assigned & when I open 'my computer'
> > it is
> > not displayed. I have attempted to name it with a letter, but this
> > makes no difference.
> >
> > Any other usb device I use works perfectly & appears as expected in my
> > computer with a drive letter assigned.
> >
> > I tried the external hdd on a friends pc & it worked immediately -
> > absolutely no problems & all was perfect. He too uses Xp on a Dell
> > laptop.
> >
> > I feel I have tried everything & have researched extensively for a
> > solution
> > but to no avail. The attempts have included,
> >
> > 1) Removing the driver & then re-installing it when prompted.
> > 2) Removing additional drives - as in PCMIA card drives to ensure a
> > letter is available.
> > 3) Trying partitioning, & naming of the external device.
> > 4) I also have tried every usb port on my pc.
> >
> > So, if anyone can help I will be greatly appreciative. My main
> > concern is
> > that no external hdd will function on my pc. Thank you anyone &
> > everyone for your time.
> >
> > Des
>
> Does the external hard drive have its own power supply? If you are
> expecting it to get power from your laptop, perhaps your laptop can't
> supply enough.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Yes - It has its own power supply. Also I have since noticed that in
computer management, it is not seen as 'removable' instead it is seen as
'basic' - like my internal hard drive.

P.S, I am past panic & onto frustration!

Thanks

From: Des on
Sorry but also,
The device is seen in management as a logical device & 'healthy'. however,
even when there is a letter assigned - it will not let me perform any action
- it simply says 'the volume does not contain a recognised file system.
Please make sure that all the required file system drivers are loaded & the
volume is not corrupted'.

The drive has been formatted on my friends pc, there is no access to format
it on mine.

Thanks again,
Des

From: R. McCarty on
External USB drives are natively supported by Windows XP. No
3rd- Party driver should have been required. You should open up
Device Manager, Expand the Disk Drives category. Double-Click
on your USB drive When the details box opens, click the Driver
(TAB) and then the Driver Details button. In the box there should
be two driver files installed for it.
1. Disk.Sys
2. PartMgr.Sys
I would check that information and report back.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: smoni error
Next: Out of Space????