From: xxcas on
My 78 GB C: HD suddenly got full. Upon investigating, I found, under the
"Drive Information" folder, one file - wkntfsldf.dat - was over 41 GB! This
is a system file, but what is it used for? Can I delete it ?????
Thank you!

Jim Cassilly
jcass(a)tampabay.rr.com

From: Bob Harris on
I searched my hard drive and have no such file. The search included sysytem
and hidden files.

I am running XP home with SP-2.

Unless you are running XP Pro, which might have something additional over XP
home, I would be very dubious of this file.

You mention the "drive information" folder. I do not have one of those
either. I do have a "system volume information" folder. That is where the
XP restore points are stored. If that is what you mean, then try using the
XP cleanup tool to remove all but the latest restore point. Still, 41 Gig
is a lot of rstore points !!!

If it is not related to system restore, try to learn something about it, by
right-clicking on it and checking its properties.

I tried a Google search on the file name, and it had hundreds of hits. But,
none of the web pages were in English. In fact, they all appears to be
Chinese. Are you running XP with some Language other than English?

In any event, it is hard to beleive that the file is vital to XP, since XP
was made to run on computers with only several Gig of hard disk. I would be
inclined to delete it, but only after I backed-up all personal files, and
settings, and had the CD ready for a re-installation of XP (if things went
wrong). If you can not delete it via a simple right-click, try using the XP
recovery console, or Bart's PE builder, or KNOPPIX, both of which are free.
(http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/, http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)
Or, try one of those programs to delete difficult files during a reboot,
such as at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

From: RonK on
I'm using XP Pro and I searched my computer for wkntfsldf.dat and came up
with nothing.

Are you sure that is the correct spelling for the file ?

From: V Green on
The nonsense file name is indicative of a virus
or malware/spyware infection.

Update & scan ASAP.

From: Paul Knudsen on
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 20:53:06 -0400, "xxcas" <xjcass(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>My 78 GB C: HD suddenly got full. Upon investigating, I found, under the
>"Drive Information" folder, one file - wkntfsldf.dat - was over 41 GB! This
>is a system file, but what is it used for? Can I delete it ?????
>Thank you!
>
>Jim Cassilly
>jcass(a)tampabay.rr.com

Like the other poster I could not find anything in English about the
file and nothing turned up on Microsoft's site. Back it up and delete
it.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: