From: Mike950 on
The USB IBM laser Mouse on my XP machine is locked up when the computer is
turned on. If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in, it works.
This just started a couple of days ago and I can't figure out how to fix it.
I've tried reloading drivers but that doesn't work. I used a different USB
port and that didn't help. I checked for malware and the computer seems to
be clean. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. PS: I've also tried
another USB mouse and get the same results.
From: SC Tom on

"Mike950" <Mike950(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The USB IBM laser Mouse on my XP machine is locked up when the computer is
> turned on. If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in, it
> works.
> This just started a couple of days ago and I can't figure out how to fix
> it.
> I've tried reloading drivers but that doesn't work. I used a different
> USB
> port and that didn't help. I checked for malware and the computer seems
> be clean. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. PS: I've also tried
> another USB mouse and get the same results.

Has there been any new hardware, software, or updates recently installed?
You could always try a System Restore to before a couple of days ago and see
if that fixes the problem.
If you do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up Task Manager while the mouse is
locked, is there anything that's hogging system resources?
--
SC Tom

From: nass on

"Mike950" wrote:

> The USB IBM laser Mouse on my XP machine is locked up when the computer is
> turned on. If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in, it works.
> This just started a couple of days ago and I can't figure out how to fix it.
> I've tried reloading drivers but that doesn't work. I used a different USB
> port and that didn't help. I checked for malware and the computer seems to
> be clean. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. PS: I've also tried
> another USB mouse and get the same results.

Is this your mouse:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67145

Did you make sure the connection is firmly connected to the USB port?
Try to run the system file checker:
sfc /scannow

Also try to updates the Motherboard drivers from the manufacturer of the
Motherboard or the system.

HTH
nass
--
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: Mike950 on
I gave some incorrect information in my first post. This is an IBM USb mouse
but I originally had it connected to the PS2 port using an adaptor. Off and
on for several months now, the mouse would be inactive when the computer was
turned on and I would turn off the computer, unplug the mouse, plug it back
in and restart the computer (sometimes two to three restarts before the mouse
would activate). I got tired of that, so I took off the PS2 adapter and
plugged it into a USB port. It worked fine for about a week or two then
started this behavior where it is inactive when the computer is turned on and
I have to unplug it and plug it back in before it activates. It's acting
like Windows can't recognize the mouse unless it is plugged in after Windows
is fully loaded. Like I said, I've reloaded the drivers and tried another
USB mouse and have the same problem.

When I googled this problem I found tons of posts on similar problems and
one suggestion was to "delete" the USB Root Hubs in Device Manager and let
them reset upon reboot. In WinXP there is no delete option, only Update,
Disable and Uninstall. Should I try the Uninstall for each USB Root Hub?

To: SC Tom, There has been no hardware or software added but there has been
several Win Updates since this problem has been going on. System Restores
didn't help and there doesn't seem to be anything "hogging system resources".

To: nass, No, it's an IBM mouse Model M027FO but the same thing is
happening with another IBM mouse model M028B0. Both of these work fine on
another computer so it's not the mouse. I have tried three different USB
ports and get the same results, so it's not the USB ports (plus this same
thing was happening when I used the PS2 adapter).

The strange thing is that the mice work when they are plugged in to the USB
port after Windows has loaded but won't work if they are already plugged in
when the computer is started.

Thanks for the help.

From: SC Tom on

>I gave some incorrect information in my first post. This is an IBM USb
>mouse
> but I originally had it connected to the PS2 port using an adaptor. Off
> and
> on for several months now, the mouse would be inactive when the computer
> was
> turned on and I would turn off the computer, unplug the mouse, plug it
> back
> in and restart the computer (sometimes two to three restarts before the
> mouse
> would activate). I got tired of that, so I took off the PS2 adapter and
> plugged it into a USB port. It worked fine for about a week or two then
> started this behavior where it is inactive when the computer is turned on
> and
> I have to unplug it and plug it back in before it activates. It's acting
> like Windows can't recognize the mouse unless it is plugged in after
> Windows
> is fully loaded. Like I said, I've reloaded the drivers and tried another
> USB mouse and have the same problem.
>
> When I googled this problem I found tons of posts on similar problems and
> one suggestion was to "delete" the USB Root Hubs in Device Manager and let
> them reset upon reboot. In WinXP there is no delete option, only Update,
> Disable and Uninstall. Should I try the Uninstall for each USB Root Hub?
>
> To: SC Tom, There has been no hardware or software added but there has
> been
> several Win Updates since this problem has been going on. System Restores
> didn't help and there doesn't seem to be anything "hogging system
> resources".
>
> To: nass, No, it's an IBM mouse Model M027FO but the same thing is
> happening with another IBM mouse model M028B0. Both of these work fine on
> another computer so it's not the mouse. I have tried three different USB
> ports and get the same results, so it's not the USB ports (plus this same
> thing was happening when I used the PS2 adapter).
>
> The strange thing is that the mice work when they are plugged in to the
> USB
> port after Windows has loaded but won't work if they are already plugged
> in
> when the computer is started.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Yes, go ahead and uninstall them. When you reboot afterwards, be sure all
USB items are unplugged before the PC comes back up. Hopefully, the fresh
reinstallation will take care of the problem.
--
SC Tom

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2