From: Bobbi on
My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution Service
3.0". How can I find out what that is? I don't think it's my security
software downloading updates because the time doesn't correspond to the time
of today's update, and my system updates aren't installed automatically.

Bobbi Gold

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Bobbi" <bobbi(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution
> Service 3.0". How can I find out what that is? I don't think it's my
> security software downloading updates because the time doesn't correspond
> to the time of today's update, and my system updates aren't installed
> automatically.
>
> Bobbi Gold

Google is a wonderful thing. When you type

"Software Distribution Service 3.0"

into a Google search box then you get (amongst other things) this intriguing
link: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/856021.htm.

From: Jose on
On Jul 25, 1:36 am, "Bobbi" <bo...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution Service
> 3.0". How can I find out what that is? I don't think it's my security
> software downloading updates because the time doesn't correspond to the time
> of today's update, and my system updates aren't installed automatically.
>
> Bobbi Gold

That is what it is supposed to do - when you get/install an update
from Microsoft.

If you want to figure out what the reason behind the Restore Point
(what was updated), you can look in your WindowsUpdate.log file, you
can look in Add/Remove Programs (enable Show Updates), you could go to
the Microsoft update page and view your update history...
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
A restore point of that name is created whenever you install a Windows
Update.

From: RT on
The trouble with the way System Restore works is that eventually the early
ones get overwritten :-((

Is there any way of keeping a few really good ones?
e.g. after a clean reinstall and a day or six of putting software back on
and getting it all set up hunky dory?

Is there a way of increasing the amount of room allocated, apart from the
one offered?
(I have a spare 80 gig drive that I would happily devote to restore points
if it meant that I could keep them all.

RT

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>A restore point of that name is created whenever you install a Windows
>Update.
>
> Bobbi wrote:
>> My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution
>> Service
>> 3.0". How can I find out what that is? I don't think it's my security
>> software downloading updates because the time doesn't correspond to the
>> time
>> of today's update, and my system updates aren't installed automatically.
>>
>> Bobbi Gold
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: USB Mouse Problems - Strange