From: Peter on
On 07/25/2010 08:57 PM, RT wrote:
> The trouble with the way System Restore works is that eventually the early
> ones get overwritten :-((
>
> Is there any way of keeping a few really good ones?
> e.g. after a clean reinstall and a day or six of putting software back on
> and getting it all set up hunky dory?
>
> Is there a way of increasing the amount of room allocated, apart from the
> one offered?
> (I have a spare 80 gig drive that I would happily devote to restore points
> if it meant that I could keep them all.
>
> RT

You should check out imaging your install. Win 7 comes with it built-in
and there are programs like Acronis for XP. Restore points are a way to
keep XP hobbling until you have the time to clean install it. You could
use your spare 80 gig drive to store images. I would put it in an
external case and connect via USB rather than slave it.

--
Peter
From: Bill in Co on
Peter wrote:
> On 07/25/2010 08:57 PM, RT wrote:
>> The trouble with the way System Restore works is that eventually the
>> early
>> ones get overwritten :-((
>>
>> Is there any way of keeping a few really good ones?
>> e.g. after a clean reinstall and a day or six of putting software back on
>> and getting it all set up hunky dory?
>>
>> Is there a way of increasing the amount of room allocated, apart from the
>> one offered?
>> (I have a spare 80 gig drive that I would happily devote to restore
>> points
>> if it meant that I could keep them all.
>>
>> RT
>
> You should check out imaging your install. Win 7 comes with it built-in
> and there are programs like Acronis for XP. Restore points are a way to
> keep XP hobbling until you have the time to clean install it. You could
> use your spare 80 gig drive to store images. I would put it in an
> external case and connect via USB rather than slave it.
>
> --
> Peter

Agreed - this is a much better idea, and the only real way to have perfect
system backups (and/or disk cloning). Storing a large collection of
System Restore points for that purpose wasn't the intended design of System
Restore, nor is it as complete or incident free, either.

I use a backup drive to store several generational images of my C:
partition, which I create using Acronis True Image. The only disadvantage
of this approach is that the backup images are naturally larger than just
system restore points, of course, because they backup the entire partition,
but that is also their advantage (i.e., perfect restoration capability)

From: RT on

"Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> On 07/25/2010 08:57 PM, RT wrote:
>>> The trouble with the way System Restore works is that eventually the
>>> early
>>> ones get overwritten :-((
>>>
>>> Is there any way of keeping a few really good ones?
>>> e.g. after a clean reinstall and a day or six of putting software back
>>> on
>>> and getting it all set up hunky dory?
>>>
>>> Is there a way of increasing the amount of room allocated, apart from
>>> the
>>> one offered?
>>> (I have a spare 80 gig drive that I would happily devote to restore
>>> points
>>> if it meant that I could keep them all.
>>>
>>> RT
>>
>> You should check out imaging your install. Win 7 comes with it built-in
>> and there are programs like Acronis for XP. Restore points are a way to
>> keep XP hobbling until you have the time to clean install it. You could
>> use your spare 80 gig drive to store images. I would put it in an
>> external case and connect via USB rather than slave it.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>
> Agreed - this is a much better idea, and the only real way to have perfect
> system backups (and/or disk cloning). Storing a large collection of
> System Restore points for that purpose wasn't the intended design of
> System Restore, nor is it as complete or incident free, either.
>
> I use a backup drive to store several generational images of my C:
> partition, which I create using Acronis True Image. The only disadvantage
> of this approach is that the backup images are naturally larger than just
> system restore points, of course, because they backup the entire
> partition, but that is also their advantage (i.e., perfect restoration
> capability)

Hellfire!!!
My C drive is already heaving with 65 gig of used space.....

OK I'm apparently doing it all wrong.

I should nave kept drive/partition C for the operating system and had all my
added software elsewhere, is that right?
How can I rectify this, assuming that this is the way to go?
I cant face _another_ reinstall, less than 4 weeks after the last one.

I am using XP Pro BTW.

RT

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"RT" <zulu.romeotangohotel(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:

>>> You should check out imaging your install. Win 7 comes with it built-in
>>> and there are programs like Acronis for XP. Restore points are a way to
>>> keep XP hobbling until you have the time to clean install it. You could
>>> use your spare 80 gig drive to store images. I would put it in an
>>> external case and connect via USB rather than slave it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>
>> Agreed - this is a much better idea, and the only real way to have
>> perfect system backups (and/or disk cloning). Storing a large
>> collection of System Restore points for that purpose wasn't the intended
>> design of System Restore, nor is it as complete or incident free, either.
>>
>> I use a backup drive to store several generational images of my C:
>> partition, which I create using Acronis True Image. The only
>> disadvantage of this approach is that the backup images are naturally
>> larger than just system restore points, of course, because they backup
>> the entire partition, but that is also their advantage (i.e., perfect
>> restoration capability)
>
> Hellfire!!!
> My C drive is already heaving with 65 gig of used space.....
>
> OK I'm apparently doing it all wrong.
>
> I should nave kept drive/partition C for the operating system and had all
> my added software elsewhere, is that right?
> How can I rectify this, assuming that this is the way to go?
> I cant face _another_ reinstall, less than 4 weeks after the last one.
>
> I am using XP Pro BTW.
>
> RT

My preference is to store the OS and all applications on drive C: and keep
all user data on drive D: There are several reasons for this:
- User data is easier to back up because it resides on its own drive.
- Drive C: can be kept small because it stores neglible amounts of data. 20
GBytes for Windows XP is ample.
- When using an imaging program, it is easy to create an image of drive C:
and park it on drive D:.
- When restoring an image, user data is not affected.

65 GBytes on drive C: appears very large unless this is where you store your
personal files.

From: Bobbi on
Hi, PA Bear-
That's what I would have guessed if my system automatically downloaded and
installed updates but it doesn't. It's set to notify only, and I download
and install them only after I check them out, which is definitely not as
often as these restore points appear.
-Bobbi

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>A restore point of that name is created whenever you install a Windows
>Update.
>
> Bobbi wrote:
>> My system is creating restore points labelled "Software Distribution
>> Service
>> 3.0". How can I find out what that is? I don't think it's my security
>> software downloading updates because the time doesn't correspond to the
>> time
>> of today's update, and my system updates aren't installed automatically.
>>
>> Bobbi Gold

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: USB Mouse Problems - Strange