From: Justin on
Hi folks, I'm looking to install OpenSuse 11.2 on a laptop without an
optical drive.
How big of a USB stick will I need? Remember, I don't want to RUN from
the USB, I want to install from it.
From: Vahis on
On 2010-07-13, Justin <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.org> wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm looking to install OpenSuse 11.2 on a laptop without an
> optical drive.
> How big of a USB stick will I need? Remember, I don't want to RUN from
> the USB, I want to install from it.

1 GB will do just fine.

The simplest way is to dd the Live CD image onto the stick and install
from there.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-desktop
From: Mark Draheim on
houghi wrote:

> Vahis wrote:
>> On 2010-07-13, Justin <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.org> wrote:
>>> Hi folks, I'm looking to install OpenSuse 11.2 on a laptop without
>>> an optical drive.

> For those interested in doing the same thing:
> http://wiki.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick

There is a better and less invasive way to get any ISO to boot from
USB Sticks. I wonder why this is still not in the SuSE wikis.

Get this one

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/MultiBootISOs/MultiBootISOs-
v1.5.4.exe

It's Windows based tool putting isolinux on the stick. You can then
boot any ISO image on the stick by editing the provided isolinux
config. The default conf comes with tons of examples, just pick the
one most close to your ISO type, edit the paths and remove the unused
entries.

Pros:

- no partitioning needed, just copy the iso to the stick
- no space wasted due to dd overwriting partition tables
- no destroying system partitions due to bad dd commands
- multiple isos on same stick possible

Cons:

- no noob-compatible docs, need 10 minutes on Google to understand the
workings of iso-/syslinux

Of course, since this approach is based on syslinux, you can do all
this in Linux, too. It's just a matter of setting up syslinux on your
stick.

cheers

Mark

From: LSMFT on
Justin wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm looking to install OpenSuse 11.2 on a laptop without an
> optical drive.
> How big of a USB stick will I need? Remember, I don't want to RUN from
> the USB, I want to install from it.

Big as you want. The 4 gig ones are cheap. 8, 16, 32 gigs are handy.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
From: mjt on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:14:47 +0200
Mark Draheim <rickcafe.casablanca(a)gmx.net> wrote:

> There is a better and less invasive way to get any ISO to boot from
> USB Sticks. I wonder why this is still not in the SuSE wikis.
>
> Get this one
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/MultiBootISOs/MultiBootISOs-
>
> It's Windows based tool

That's "better and less invasive"???

And what if the person doesn't have a M$ OS?
Personally, I wouldn't resort to a Windows-based
tool to do something Linux-based.

--
1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not
just a good idea, it's the law!