From: Nicdig on
Hi, Have a pretty basic question. My laptop has built in wireless. But, I
have been having issues with the connection dropping.
Happens no matter what browser i use, on and off throughout the day; it has
become inconsistant at times.
I did some trouble shooting and I cant determine what the problem is. I am
thinking getting a linksys wireless USB adapter so that I can see how the
connection works when used on my laptop.

If while trying the USB adapter, the connection is up 100%, then I will
assume that my wireless card is going bad on my LT. If I am still havin
issues, then its back to looking within the laptop files itself.

My questions are in regard to the initial set up of the USB adapter:

Is it simply a matter of manually turning OFF my wireless button, then
installing the linksys software and letting it wireless configure my laptop
(so that windows does not)??? Is that all that is to it?

I already use a linksys usb adapter on a desktop (in my home) that never
came with wireless. (There is no issues with the desktop. The qwest modem
works perfectly.) But I was wondering if this is the way to do it on a
machine that already came with wireless installed.
Thanks in advance

From: Lem on
Nicdig wrote:
> Hi, Have a pretty basic question. My laptop has built in wireless. But, I
> have been having issues with the connection dropping.
> Happens no matter what browser i use, on and off throughout the day; it has
> become inconsistant at times.
> I did some trouble shooting and I cant determine what the problem is. I am
> thinking getting a linksys wireless USB adapter so that I can see how the
> connection works when used on my laptop.
>
> If while trying the USB adapter, the connection is up 100%, then I will
> assume that my wireless card is going bad on my LT. If I am still havin
> issues, then its back to looking within the laptop files itself.
>
> My questions are in regard to the initial set up of the USB adapter:
>
> Is it simply a matter of manually turning OFF my wireless button, then
> installing the linksys software and letting it wireless configure my laptop
> (so that windows does not)??? Is that all that is to it?
>
> I already use a linksys usb adapter on a desktop (in my home) that never
> came with wireless. (There is no issues with the desktop. The qwest modem
> works perfectly.) But I was wondering if this is the way to do it on a
> machine that already came with wireless installed.
> Thanks in advance

Although you certainly can do what you want, it seems like it's starting
with the most expensive solution to your problem first. Before you buy
the new adapter, you might try a few no-cost solutions:

- Do you have the problem no matter where you are physically using the
laptop? Try using it in a different room and/or turning it in different
orientations (the antenna generally is in the lid surrounding the
screen). Consider that the USB adapter you're using with your other
computer may have a better antenna than the laptop, so just because the
other computer has no problems in a particular location doesn't mean
that the laptop similarly should work well in that location.

- Do you have any sources of RF interference near where you generally
use the laptop, e.g., cordless telephones, microwave ovens, baby
monitors, other wireless devices? See if your drop-outs correlate with
usage of any of these.

- Do you live in an area where you have nearby neighbors who may have
their own wireless networks? Try changing the channel --> do this on the
*router* You should use channel 1, 6, or 11. If you currently are
using channel 1, try 11 (and vice-versa); if you're using 6, try 1 or 11.

You should disable the built-in wireless, either with the "wireless
button" or by going to Device Manager and disabling it there.

You can use either the Linksys software *or* Windows to configure the
USB adapter -- but not both at the same time.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Frankster on
I've done this without any problems. For the same reason. It did solve my
problem. I just disabled the internal wireless adapter from "Network
Connections". I never messed with the "switch".

-Frank

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
In general the installed Wireless adapters are better on laptops then an
Ad-On USB.
May be if you give some technical data (like what type of Wireless is on the
laptop, how it is configured, the type of OS, etc.) someone can come up with
another solution.
Unstable Wireless connection can occur as a result of, two Wireless
utilities running at the same time, as well as the Power saving
configuration of the Wireless card, and other factors.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Nicdig on
I thank all that replied.
I think though, Lem, that you mentioned something that I did not even
consider.
Is the antennae ON the screen itself?? If that is so, then maybe that is the
problem.

On the bottom right corner of my HP laptop, the screen is broken somewhat.
It's like the hinge broke and the screen in that area only, dangles. So long
as I keep the LT in an open position, then the screen does not 'open'up too
much in that area.
But if I jiggle the screen is to try to get it flushed and stay put on the
hinge (where main part of the laptop is), I can see that eventually screen
will break away from that corner & will need to be replaced. The screen size
is 17".

I will out rule interferrence of other appliances and such because this LT
is pretty stationed in the same spot for months and months. Never had a
problem until I got lots of malware that took forever to clear up.

Ironically, 6 weeks ago when the LT cleaned up, the wireless problem
started. I have thought that maybe the virus thing had something to do with
it. Have been rescanning and posting log files to reputable sites for help,
but they cant seem to find anything still regarding the wireless issue. The
screen being broken, I think, happened a weeks before the virus prob..

My LT channel is set to channel 9. And so is my desktop using the linksys
adapter. Should I change them to be different?
BTW, the majority of networks in range and in my neighborhood have secured
connections. So, my laptop wouldnt be able to 'use' their connection; which
means even if they have channel 9, it wouldnt interefere...right?.

thanks again,
Windows XP home edition sp2 using firefox or IE8