From: Shadow on
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:57:12 -0800 (PST), Dave Matthews
<david.donald.matthews(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 20, 6:24�pm, Shadow <Sh(a)dow> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:01:19 -0800 (PST), Nico Kadel-Garcia
>>
>> <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >What is the manufacturer and part number? And how long is the cable,
>> >and what are you connecting it to?
>>
>> � � � � Sorry, I thought I'd been clear. One end is plugged into the
>> USB slot at the back of the PC cabinet. The other end dangles down by
>> my knees. When I need to plug in a USB flash drive, I plug it into the
>> cable's slot, no need to get up and fiddle around looking for the
>> right hole round the back of my table.
>> � � � � So windows puts up a fuss about "new hardware found", and does
>> not read USB. Linux mounts and reads it , and writes, if needed.
>> � � � � Without the cable, ie, plugging the USB directly into the back
>> of the cabinet, and both OS recognize it immediately.
>>
>> >Your difficulties make me wonder whether you are running at the limit
>> >of some subtle specification, such as frequency
>>
>> � � � � At 1.8meters, don't think so.
>>
>> >or power consumption
>> >among the devices, and the Linux setup is intelligently dropping the
>> >frequency down to USB 1.1 levels under the stressed situation.

>That sounds very familiar with my experiences today and came to a
>conclusion some microsoft update has screwed up. It works on a clean
>(no updates) computer but with a current and up to date Windows XP -
>it doesn't.
>
>Try it on another computer without any updates and get back to me
>please.
I tried windows 98SE. It works for a 1Gb flash drive, but not
for a 2Gb one. Both drives work without the cable.
Neither work under winXP SP3.
Both work under ubuntu 8.04 and 9.10 and backtrack 2
Sorry, don't have any others to test. Not enough computers at
home ...
[]'s
From: AZ Nomad on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:47:49 -0200, Shadow <Sh(a)dow> wrote:

>>Try it on another computer without any updates and get back to me
>>please.
> I tried windows 98SE. It works for a 1Gb flash drive, but not
>for a 2Gb one. Both drives work without the cable.
> Neither work under winXP SP3.

XP self corrupts the usb drivers from time to time just like everything else.

Go to the device manager, and delete everything under the usb category.
Then his refresh and they'll reinstall. Sometimes you have to do this
several times.
From: Tecknode on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Jan 19, 6:10 pm, Shadow <Sh(a)dow> wrote:
>> I bought a cable (sold as an USB AM/AF extension chord).to
>> plug into the back of my PC so I could read USB flash drives without
>> having to get up and poke behind the cabinet.
>
> What is the manufacturer and part number? And how long is the cable,
> and what are you connecting it to?
>
> Your difficulties make me wonder whether you are running at the limit
> of some subtle specification, such as frequency or power consumption
> among the devices, and the Linux setup is intelligently dropping the
> frequency down to USB 1.1 levels under the stressed situation.
>
>> I can't see the USB drives under windows XP, but can read and
>> write under linux. My linux wireless USB also works fine using this
>> cable, in fact its very useful for finding the best spots in the room.

First, in your BIOS Setup see if you have USB2 support AND that it is
enabled.

For WinXP, open "Device Manager" and look under "Universal Serial Bus
controllers," see if you have USB2 or "Extended USB" drivers.

If NOT, go to your motherboard manufacturer's site and look for a USB
driver update. Download to your HD and install.

Most current USB devices (other than KB/Mouse) require USB2 support to
work. Note that your motherboard must have USB2 support for Windows
drivers.

By the way, another example why Linux is the better OS.