From: Jeff Strickland on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)sorry.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>

>> Your premise is wrong here.
>> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations
>> and the distinction is important
>
> On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
> replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
> Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
> explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not on
> the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).

My XP has Eject for the USB drives, and it is not the way to remove a USB
drive. I'll have to check my Vista box to see if there is a Safely Remove,
but my recollection is that there is one.

> Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
> plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the device
> information:
> "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for
> "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
>
> To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
> it in again."
>
> I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
> storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
> mine have power buttons
>
> Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want to
> use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
>
> JD

What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to leave
it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected, leave it
connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and leave it alone.

From: JD on
Paul wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>

>>> Your premise is wrong here.
>>> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different
>>> operations and the distinction is important
>>
>> On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has
>> been replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
>> Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having
>> to explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is
>> not on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).
>>
>> Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
>> plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
>> device information:
>> "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
>> for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer.
>> (Code 47)
>>
>> To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then
>> plug it in again."
>>
>> I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
>> storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
>> mine have power buttons
>>
>> Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you
>> want to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
>>
>> JD
>
> Could you cook up a recipe with "devcon" ?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
>
> Devcon is used extensively in these scripts. Using Devcon
> probably won't fix the "code 47", but it might be worth
> playing with.
>
> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
>
> Paul

That's an interesting find.

Just been playing around with it, can list my devices, check the status,
get the PID's and hwID's but it will not let me remove them or restart
them (Remove Failed, Restart Failed,Disable Failed) , will need to check
it on xp see if it works there.

JD

From: JD on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

> What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to leave
> it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected, leave it
> connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and leave it alone.

I would have to agree.
its pretty pointless leaving it spinning away, however some would
argue (rightly or wrongly) that removing it from the machine stops you
accidentally deleting information or viruses/malware deleting the
information. As for the reason to keep it spinning some people believe
that a constantly running hard drive lasts longer than one that's
started and stopped, but this is a whole other topic.

but I get the impression bob wants to leave the devices connected
because the cables are round the back of the pc and the lack of a power
button on the actual drives (which are probably on his desk) makes it
quite awkward for him to simply unplug them and plug them back in again.

JD
From: Jeff Strickland on

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>

>> What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to
>> leave it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected,
>> leave it connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and
>> leave it alone.
>>

> I would have to agree.
> its pretty pointless leaving it spinning away, however some would argue
> (rightly or wrongly) that removing it from the machine stops you
> accidentally deleting information or viruses/malware deleting the
> information. As for the reason to keep it spinning some people believe
> that a constantly running hard drive lasts longer than one that's started
> and stopped, but this is a whole other topic.
>
> but I get the impression bob wants to leave the devices connected because
> the cables are round the back of the pc and the lack of a power button on
> the actual drives (which are probably on his desk) makes it quite awkward
> for him to simply unplug them and plug them back in again.

I got that feeling too, but unplug the cables from the drive, not the
machine. Problem solved. Leave the cables plugged into the ports on the back
of the machine, and put the external hard drive in the drawer for safe
storage. I don't see what the problem is ...

From: JD on
- Bobb - wrote:
> Suggestions ?
>
> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now it
> occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do NOT
> have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables (power/usb)
> when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown. BUT with
> things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to plug/unplug from
> FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections ( tower in a PC
> desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is to use power strip
> (with switch) for each drive - ?
>
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_Lite_Under_Monitor_6_Outlet_Surge_Suppressor/TMC-6/pf/1487604
> anyone prefer another ?
>
> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
> tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this is
> the way to go.

Hi again Bob

Just found an interesting article while googling, this may be what you
are looking for:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/09/07/remount-ejected-or-safely-removed-usb-device-without-unplug-and-reinsert/
they also mention a piece of software on that page that can do it, plus
describe a way that apparently works, haven't tried it yet, as I have to
get on my way to work.
I tried something similar last night from the device manager but could
not get it to work, but I didn't go to the devices by connection that
the website describes.

JD