From: Metspitzer on
I ended up in the hospital for the weekend. I had no charger for my
phone. I also had nothing to do but think.

My TV has a USB port. I was wondering if a USB port like that could
charge my cell phone? If the TV in the room had USB port it would be
a pretty handy thing.

Also, my car came with a cigarette lighter in the ash tray and another
one on the console. It would seem that newer cars could come with a
USB port also.

I have seen car ads with cars that come with a hard drive. I would
think having a USB player would be even better. Everyone could carry
around their music on their key chains.

One hitch is that there seems to be a endless number of proprietary
connectors. As far as I can tell. 2 or 3 types should be the limit,
and anyone using a proprietary connector should be shot. Doesn't the
U in USB stand for Universal?

From: Paul on
Metspitzer wrote:
> I ended up in the hospital for the weekend. I had no charger for my
> phone. I also had nothing to do but think.
>
> My TV has a USB port. I was wondering if a USB port like that could
> charge my cell phone? If the TV in the room had USB port it would be
> a pretty handy thing.
>
> Also, my car came with a cigarette lighter in the ash tray and another
> one on the console. It would seem that newer cars could come with a
> USB port also.
>
> I have seen car ads with cars that come with a hard drive. I would
> think having a USB player would be even better. Everyone could carry
> around their music on their key chains.
>
> One hitch is that there seems to be a endless number of proprietary
> connectors. As far as I can tell. 2 or 3 types should be the limit,
> and anyone using a proprietary connector should be shot. Doesn't the
> U in USB stand for Universal?

If you read the article here, you'll see there are a whole bunch of different
USB connectors. The standards bodies just can't help themselves, when
it comes to inventing an endless supply of different connectors. If
a "micro" connector is such a good idea at any point in time, why
isn't it introduced from "day one", so there is only one connector
to choose from ? Why start with a "macro" sized connector, only
to make a "micro" one two years later ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Types-usb_new.svg

Further down that web page, is a list of non-standard connectors,
used by various manufacturers.

In terms of things like cell phone adapters, there are moves afoot
to change the situation with powering. Eventually, all cellphones
will use the same adapter.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-10167129-60.html

"The Micro-USB connector used on this Motorola cell phone charger
will soon be the standard for all chargers."

So cell phones at least, will eventually be fixed. But there is
nothing to keep other branches of the industry in line.

Paul
From: James Harris on
On 12 May, 01:33, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:

> > One hitch is that there seems to be a endless number of proprietary
> > connectors.  As far as I can tell.  2 or 3 types should be the limit,
> > and anyone using a proprietary connector should be shot.  Doesn't the
> > U in USB stand for Universal?
>
> If you read the article here, you'll see there are a whole bunch of different
> USB connectors. The standards bodies just can't help themselves, when
> it comes to inventing an endless supply of different connectors. If
> a "micro" connector is such a good idea at any point in time, why
> isn't it introduced from "day one", so there is only one connector
> to choose from ? Why start with a "macro" sized connector, only
> to make a "micro" one two years later ?

Quite. A quote I think attributed to Andy Tanenbaum is apt: "The nice
thing about standards is there are so many of them to choose from."

James