From: KR on
For some reason I cant get my standard Microsoft wheelmouse to work in
XP when connected via USB.

Works fine in PS2 (with the supplied adaptor) but not directly to USB

The USB socket works fine with other things, but not mouse, it wont
even light up or make the "noise" you get when plugging in a device.
All other USB sockets on the PC fail to run the mouse.

Tried another mouse, same problem
From: shegeek72 on
On Jan 7, 10:54 pm, KR <kenreed1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Tried another mouse, same problem
If it won't 'light up' it's not getting any power. Was the other mouse
you tried a USB?

From: KR on
On Jan 8, 6:12 pm, shegeek72 <karmictara...(a)2die4.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 10:54 pm, KR <kenreed1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Tried another mouse, same problem
> If it won't 'light up' it's not getting any power. Was the other mouse
> you tried a USB?

Both were identical Microsoft optical wheel mouse, both refused to
work in any USB port on the PC, both worked fine in PS2 - using the
adaptor provided with them.

Other devices work fine with the USB ports.

Have removed all drivers to do with mouse and "human interface
devices" and let xp detect and replace them

still no difference.

I think it has to be to do with windows, or similar, just have no idea
where to look.
From: geoff on
I plugged my logitech mouse into a SATA port and xp installed an 'HID
device' driver for it.

I use an MS mouse driver because I like some of the features for the side
buttons but the side buttons only work when the mouse is plugged into a
mouse port via a 'SATA to mouse port' adaptor.

--g

From: Flasherly on
On Jan 8, 1:54 am, KR <kenreed1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason I cant get my standard Microsoft wheelmouse to work in
> XP when connected via USB.
>
> Works fine in PS2 (with the supplied adaptor) but not directly to USB
>
> The USB socket works fine with other things, but not mouse, it wont
> even light up or make the "noise" you get when plugging in a device.
> All other USB sockets on the PC fail to run the mouse.
>
> Tried another mouse, same problem

I'm on my second Logitec trackballs left-handed (lefty/righty, because
they're adaptable). Three years and hasn't broke (metal bearings for
the balls in this one). I'm leery of "adapters" (PS2>USB). I've also
had issues with some hardware. Not all USB endowed MBs I've
experienced are equal (once upon a time, should be less the case
nowadays). Have you tried a "generic" mouse equipped with a hardwired
USB interface, and not a PS2<>USB adapter? PS2 is going floppies were
went and where 50-pin PATA IDE is headed. Also, enable the BIOS
detection boot screen sequence. Keyboard and mouse both should boot
to show as present. Some boot-to-DOS 98/6.22 programs use a mouse
with the driver. Partition Magic comes to mind. I'd want also to
test it in DOS. If I swap to a different USB ports with my FOCUS
keyboard (has a functioning mouse-ball built in), or the Logitec, I'm
liable to end up with both not functioning with XP. USB can tend to
have a bit of an attitude, IMO.