From: Mark on
I have a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB memory stick formatted as MS-DOS (FAT). If I
delete anything off it, the space is not freed up - I have to erase it in
Disk Utility to be able to use it again. Anyone know why the space isn't
freed up if I delete the contents?

Cheers ... Mark

From: zoara on
Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB memory stick formatted as MS-DOS
> (FAT). If I
> delete anything off it, the space is not freed up - I have to erase it
> in
> Disk Utility to be able to use it again. Anyone know why the space
> isn't
> freed up if I delete the contents?

Just to rule out the obvious... You *are* emptying the trash, aren't
you?

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Jim on
Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB memory stick formatted as MS-DOS (FAT). If I
> delete anything off it, the space is not freed up - I have to erase it in
> Disk Utility to be able to use it again. Anyone know why the space isn't
> freed up if I delete the contents?

I've fallen for this - you have to empty the trash. It's not erased
immediately.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Mark on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:23:32 +0100, zoara wrote
(in article <213607008301692161.385224me18-privacy.net(a)news.individual.net>):

> Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB memory stick formatted as MS-DOS
>> (FAT). If I
>> delete anything off it, the space is not freed up - I have to erase it
>> in
>> Disk Utility to be able to use it again. Anyone know why the space
>> isn't
>> freed up if I delete the contents?
>
> Just to rule out the obvious... You *are* emptying the trash, aren't
> you?
>
> -z-

Er.. no! Didn't realise...

Mark

From: Mark on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:27:02 +0100, Jim wrote
(in article <1jm5i16.1qrcbkg13p8n7iN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>):

> Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB memory stick formatted as MS-DOS (FAT). If I
>> delete anything off it, the space is not freed up - I have to erase it in
>> Disk Utility to be able to use it again. Anyone know why the space isn't
>> freed up if I delete the contents?
>
> I've fallen for this - you have to empty the trash. It's not erased
> immediately.
>
> Jim

Ah!! Will give that a try - thanks

Mark