From: Ron Miller on
I have Virtual PC installed on Windows 7, but I have no need of XP
mode. Instead, I installed Windows 98 SE because I have a Win 98 app
that controls my speakers, and it was never upgraded to run on NT-
based systems. I installed Virtual PC because on the "Features" page
of the MS's Virtual PC Web site, it prominently claims "USB support."
However, my app will not even install because it says the system has
no USB support. Indeed, in the Win-98 Device Manager, there is no USB
entry.

So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can
it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?

Thanks for any clues.

Roon
From: Robert Comer on
> So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC? If so, how can
> it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?

Yes and no.

USB is supported through the use of the Windows VPC Integration Components,
but Win98 isn't one of the OS's that can run the integration components.
(You need WinXPSP3 and above)

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>

From: Ron Miller on
On May 6, 9:54 pm, "Robert Comer" <bobcomer-remove...(a)mindspring.com>
wrote:
> > So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC?  If so, how can
> > it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>
> Yes and no.
>
> USB is supported through the use of the Windows VPC Integration Components,
> but Win98 isn't one of the OS's that can run the integration components.
> (You need WinXPSP3 and above)
>
> --
> Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>
>
> "Ron Miller" <miller...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I have Virtual PC installed on Windows 7, but I have no need of XP
> > mode.  Instead, I installed Windows 98 SE because I have a Win 98 app
> > that controls my speakers, and it was never upgraded to run on NT-
> > based systems.  I installed Virtual PC because on the "Features" page
> > of the MS's Virtual PC Web site, it prominently claims "USB support."
> > However, my app will not even install because it says the system has
> > no USB support.  Indeed, in the Win-98 Device Manager, there is no USB
> > entry.
>
> > So, is there truly no support for USB in Virtual PC?  If so, how can
> > it be enabled in a Win 98 SE virtual machine?
>
> > Thanks for any clues.
>
> > Roon- Hide quoted text -

Foiled again!!

Thanks for the kind explanation.
Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?

Ron
From: Robert Comer on
> Foiled again!!

My motto. Computers can sure be frustrating, can't they. :/

> Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
> that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?

VMWare Player (free), or VMWare Workstation should do it, but I haven't
actually used USB in a Win98 VM under either, but they do USB quite
differently from Windows Virtual PC.

--
Bob Comer

From: Poutnik on
In article <OPJ7z7Y7KHA.1316(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, bobcomer-removeme-
@mindspring.com says...

> > Foiled again!!
>
> My motto. Computers can sure be frustrating, can't they. :/
>
> > Next question, then, would be: Is there ANY virtualization software
> > that might be able to give USB support to a virtual Win 98 SE ?
>
> VMWare Player (free), or VMWare Workstation should do it, but I haven't
> actually used USB in a Win98 VM under either, but they do USB quite
> differently from Windows Virtual PC.

VirtualBox by Sun/Oracle http://www.virtualbox.org/
support USB to guest systems too,
but as it was said I have never tried it with Win98 guest OS.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.