From: Dekka00 on
I am trying to use a USB to RS232 adaptor between my laptop and a datalogger.
The adaptor is coming up as a human interface device and will not allow the
program for the data logger to connect as the program is looking for a port.
The laptop is completely void of 'ports' as such, as it only has USB
connections driven by the PCMCIA.
The company that supplied the adaptor says I should be able to create a port
and route the adaptor to it. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
Thanks.

From: Sergei Vlasov on
Think problem could be in a client software.
USB-COM adapters use to create something like COM5 .. COM9
while many COM-port clients are limited to COM1/COM2.
(btw; why HID? I've used FTDI USB-COM adapter and the device apeared in
the DeviceManager's list as a COM-port)
What brand is your USB adapter?

From: Dekka00 on
I think you're right, a few others have told me that different software
effects the identification of the interface device. Its a HL USB-RS232
adaptor. Thanks for your help anyway.