From: Wendy R on
I've been having this problem for a while. Most of the time when I turn off
my pc and then start the next morning, I get the message "176 the system has
been tampered with. The keyboard is locked. Turn off and then turn on your
computer."

In addition to that, I receive various messages at times. This morning I
also got "RF ID tag has changed. 184 Asset Control antenna not detected.
....System Security."

I have used system restore back to a time that I believe was before I
started receiving these messages but to no avail. I have run adaware and
sypware a few times thinking that may be the problem and that didn't work.

Is this a serious problem that can end up in a system crash? Or just an
ongoing nuisance that can continue to be resolved by turning off then on my
pc?

How can I fix whatever the problem is?

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

--
Wendy
check out my store!

From: Bob I on
I think you have hardware problems, it may be due to a low CMOS battery,
which may be replaced(small coin battery on motherboard) If it is due
to motherboard/BIOS damage you may need to get a repair shop to take
care of it.

From: Patrick Keenan on
"Wendy R" <swramsay(a)wwdb.org> wrote in message
> I've been having this problem for a while. Most of the time when I turn
> off my pc and then start the next morning, I get the message "176 the
> system has been tampered with. The keyboard is locked. Turn off and then
> turn on your computer."
>
> In addition to that, I receive various messages at times. This morning I
> also got "RF ID tag has changed. 184 Asset Control antenna not detected.
> ...System Security."
>
> I have used system restore back to a time that I believe was before I
> started receiving these messages but to no avail. I have run adaware and
> sypware a few times thinking that may be the problem and that didn't work.
>
> Is this a serious problem that can end up in a system crash? Or just an
> ongoing nuisance that can continue to be resolved by turning off then on
> my pc?
>
> How can I fix whatever the problem is?
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.
>
> --
> Wendy
> check out my store!
> www.booxtop.com

You apparently have a machine with asset control hardware sensors, and they
may be failing. When, exactly, do these messages appear? Right at
startup before any of the Windows screens?

These messages often come from the BIOS level and don't have much of
anything to do with the operating system, though they may pass messages to
it. Spyware tools and system restores will probably not come anywhere near
where the problem is actually located.

It is possible - if your machine is used and was obtained from a large
company - that it has some asset control software running as a service. If
you locate this (MSCONFIG, the Services tab can help you with this) you can
simply disable it.

You might want to look closely at the security settings in the machine's
BIOS, and turn off whatever appears to be related to this. Past that, find
a service manual for that machine - if you look carefully at the
manufacturer's site you should be able to find that- and disconnect the
sensors, after turning off the BIOS settings. You might need to have some
small amount of professional service for this.

HTH
-pk

From: Wendy R on
Yes, the messages are before the Windows page at startup. Need to turn off
and on 1 to 3 times before it will go to the Windows page. Yes, this pc came
from an insurance company. I will try to snoop around to find what you have
mentioned. Can you point me in the right direction to find (MSCONFIG, the
Services tab can help you with this)? Sorry...not very adept at hardware
stuff.

thanks again!

--
Wendy
check out my store!

From: Patrick Keenan on
> Yes, the messages are before the Windows page at startup. Need to turn off
> and on 1 to 3 times before it will go to the Windows page. Yes, this pc
> came from an insurance company. I will try to snoop around to find what
> you have mentioned. Can you point me in the right direction to find
> (MSCONFIG, the Services tab can help you with this)? Sorry...not very
> adept at hardware stuff.
>
> thanks again!

Start Windows, and go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG, then press enter.
it should start and there is a tab for 'services'. This lists the things
that run as services, and you'll need to go through the lists to see if any
of them are related to asset management software. When you identify these,
de-select them and restart the machine. However, the problem arises before
Windows knows anything about this.

The place to start is in the BIOS. Hopefully they didn't password protect
that - if so, you'll need to try to get the password. If it is password
protected and you can't get the password, contact the manufacturer for a
workaround or a way to clear the password. This isn't always easy.

You should have a look at the manufacturer's site to see if you can find the
system manuals, which will tell you what settings to change.

HTH
-pk