From: V Green on

"Wendy R" <swramsay(a)wwdb.org> wrote in message
> I've been having this problem for a while. Most of the time when I turn
off
> my pc and then start the next morning, I get the message "176 the system
has
> been tampered with. The keyboard is locked. Turn off and then turn on your
> computer."
>
> In addition to that, I receive various messages at times. This morning I
> also got "RF ID tag has changed. 184 Asset Control antenna not detected.
> ...System Security."
>
> I have used system restore back to a time that I believe was before I
> started receiving these messages but to no avail. I have run adaware and
> sypware a few times thinking that may be the problem and that didn't work.
>
> Is this a serious problem that can end up in a system crash? Or just an
> ongoing nuisance that can continue to be resolved by turning off then on
my
> pc?
>
> How can I fix whatever the problem is?
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.
>
> --
> Wendy
> check out my store!
> www.booxtop.com

Does this machine belong to YOU, or your employer?

From some of the stuff you've described, is sounds like a
corporate machine that's been locked down in various ways.

If this is true, take it to IT and get it fixed. It isn't yours
to play with.

If this is NOT true, chekc Event Viewer for other
clues and let us know what you find.

From: Wendy R on
This was a surplus pc from an insurance company that went out of business.
They gave these to a few select 'former' employees.

Where do I find Event Viewer?

--
Wendy
check out my store!

From: V Green on

> This was a surplus pc from an insurance company that went out of business.
> They gave these to a few select 'former' employees.
>
> Where do I find Event Viewer?

Control Panel>>Administrative Tools. Look for stuff
in System related to the messages you described.

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but
your best two options with this thing may be:

live with this stuff and just keep restarting when it asks

buy a new copy of XP and install from scratch

There's corporate things afoot in this machine, a holdover
from its previous life. Hardware based, from the sound
of it, and may be hard to get rid of.

What make/model is it? If the thing has RFID hardware
embedded in it, there may be a way to turn it off.

From: Wendy R on
It's an old IBM PC 300PL. If I can turn off the RFID, great. I am also
willing to live with it....if this isn't an indication of major system
problems down the road. I'm afraid that one day I won't be able to turn it
on. If these errors can remain nothing more than a nuisance, I have no
problem with it.

Also, the PC was supposedly "wiped clean" before I got it. I installed XP
new on the machine (couple of times actually) and a new Maxtor HD. Don't
know if this is a factor at all, but I've have the PC standing on it's side
for over a year under my desk -- should be ok but wonder sometimes if it's
not.

thanks again.

From: V Green on
Well, you have a lot of reading to do...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-46391

If this thing actually contains this security stuff, maybe you
can find some info on how to deal with it.

After familiarizing yourself with some of the "features"
of this, look for things related to it in Device Manager
and DISABLE them, AFTER backing up everything.

Or just keep doing what you've been doing :-)