From: Gaiseric Vandal on
On 03/19/2010 05:26 PM, Ben LeMasurier wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've got a Samba server running with an LDAP backend, and for the most
> part it works great. The only issue I'm having is that when I attempt
> to use USERMGR.exe on the windows side I get this (typical Microsoft)
> error:
>
> "A device attached to the system is not functioning"
>
> I'm running Samba 3.4.5, and OpenLDAP 2.4.21 on FreeBSD 8.0
>
> Here's the relevant config files:
> smb.conf -> http://pastebin.com/VSUXFDst
> slapd.conf -> http://pastebin.com/u8b0Hw8U
>
> Any help would be great! Let me know if any further information about
> the configuration would help.
>
> - Ben

This is the "NT" user manager for domains command? Are on you an
Windows server or workstation?

I have seen that message when the account for the machine or user is not
working correctly (e.g. if I try to logon as user from a trusted domain
and the domain trusts were not working..)

My guess is you logged in as Domain Administrator, the PC can't really
figure out who are, then tries to treat you as the local
Administrator. (you therefore would not immediately realize that there
is a problem.)

I would check a few things-
- Does "net groupmap..." look OK?
-You also want to make sure that domain administrator is listed in the
domain admins group. The net ... group ... command (not sure exact
syntax) your help verify.
- Also look on the logs for that machine on the samba server.