From: L on
Please can someone help me to resolve the issue, Iam too facing the same issue of circular reference and unable to either outdent or indent

Michael.Tarnowski wrote:

Re: Lin Summary task (is it good practice)
28-Jul-09

On Jul 24, 11:51 pm, jp <j...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Hi jp,
in my eyes Linking summary causes several problems:

Linking summary tasks is probably the number one reason project files
develop =93circular reference=94 errors which can be very difficult to
find and correct. The main cause is links on both the summary and
between subtasks under different summaries. Other causes include out-
denting, where a linked subtask becomes a linked summary, and dragging
and dropping linked subtasks from one summary grouping to another.
Another major problem is that the logic flow of tasks becomes very
complex as summary links conflict with subtask links and from the
user's standpoint, the schedule doesn't seem to make sense or doesn't
respond to changes/updates as expected.
So, links to summary tasks at best can cause confusing logic flow and
at worst, file corruption, and thus should be avoided entirely.

Have fun
Michael

SQL Server 2005 CTE (Common Table Expression)
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/c5c48628-5f72-4132-b0cf-b15d65b91c9c/sql-server-2005-cte-comm.aspx
From: John on
In article <200910594427grizzle.drago(a)gmail.com>, L G wrote:

> Please can someone help me to resolve the issue, Iam too facing the same
> issue of circular reference and unable to either outdent or indent

LG,
I assume you are still able to at least open the file. If so, apply the
built-in filter for "Summary Tasks" and look at the Predecessor and
Successor fields. There should be nothing in either field. If there is,
delete the predecessor and/or successor from the summary line. Yes, that
will change your project's logic, but it is necessary to get things back
to normal.

If the Predecessor and Successor fields on all summary lines are clear
then the circular relationship is more subtle. There is no quick and
simple way to find it. There are two basic approaches I can think of.

One is to painstakingly go through all the link logic in the file and
trace the paths. I've used this method in the past and believe it or
not, the "culprit" will eventually show up.

The second approach involves VBA. Although I don't have the exact macro
to do this I do have one that works in a similar manner with master
files that contain circular relationships. Basically it stores all link
information in a couple of spare fields. The existing Predecessor and
Successor fields are then cleared and the stored information is used to
re-create the link structure. When the algorithm hits the link that
would cause a circular relationship, the code faults thus telling the
user where the problem is.

Good luck.

John
Project MVP