From: Bruce on
Hello -- I'm running Windows 2000, MS Office 2003 Professional, and Office Compatibility Pack. My system has been running quite stable. In conducting the March Microsoft Updates, it updated with the following files:

Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB978380)
Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB977724)
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB979771)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB978474)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2010 (KB890830)

After conducting this update, I find that when I attempt to open a .docx file, I get "There was an error opening the file." error message. I went into Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, but was unable to find KB977724 listed. I tried removing the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack and downloading it/installing it fresh, but to no avail.

Thank you.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978380

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB978380).

Or you can...

The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center
also offer support options
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

From: Bruce on
I did open a case: Support Request Number - 1127134209

As for your question on having 977724 installed, I don't know how to verify, other than going onto Microsoft Update, reviewing my update history, and it showing that I successfully installed 977724.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/Unable-to-open-docx-files-after-conducting-March-2010-Microsoft-
From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"Bruce" <user(a)msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I did open a case: Support Request Number - 1127134209
>

> As for your question on having 977724 installed, I don't know how to
> verify, other than going onto Microsoft Update, reviewing my update
> history, and it showing that I successfully installed 977724.

http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2010/03/11/issues-with-office-after-installing-kb977724.aspx

(via Google web search for
KB977724 site:microsoft.com inurl:technet
)

<quote>
KB980210 supersedes KB972224.
</quote>

Perhaps you should be checking out that one instead? At least it has a KB
article which hints at the modules involved. ; )

Because it isn't a security update there is no TechNet Security Bulletin
info which would be a customary secondary source of info about patches.

Otherwise, if you do have it installed perhaps you have a KB977724.log
file which would give you some clues about what all it changes?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: Gudufl on
KB980210 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980210)supersedes KB972224 but the Issues that this hotfix package fixes have no reference to W2K and MSO2K3. I would be reluctant to use it without info that it will resolve the issue

---