From: infinite jest on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:54:01 -0800, Sam Theivagt wrote:

> We have the same issue. There is also an issue of being unable to open
> (convert) .xlsm files. This only occurs on our Windows 2000 PCs with
> Office 2003 & the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack.
>
> 977724 updates MSO.DLL in
>
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12
>
> 977724 does not show up in Add/Remove programs, but I was able to find
> an older version of MSO.DLL in the Windows Installer patch cache:
>

> C:\WINNT\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109020090400000000000F01FEC
\12.0.6425\

> To verify that the problem is caused by the MSO.DLL from 977724, I
> renamed the MSO.DLL in
>
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12
>
> & copied the MSO.DLL I found in the patch cache to the above location. I
> was then able to open (convert) .docx files in Word 2003 & .xlsm files
> in Excel 2003.
>
> The version of MSO.DLL installed by 977724 is 12.0.6521.5000 & is dated
> 10/29/2009. The version from the patch cache is 12.0.6425.1000 & is
> dated 04/03/2009.

<...>

Replacing the mso.dll, as you described, instantly fixes the broken
computers on my network.

Thanks for tracing this through.
From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> schrieb:
> Chris wrote:
>> The update has been pulled:
>>
>> http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2010/03/11/expired-update-kb977724.aspx

> KB977724 wasn't one of the March 2010 updates anyway.

That may not be true for those having .NET Framework 4.0 *Beta*/CTP/RC
installed.

http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2010/03/11/issues-with-office-after-installing-kb977724.aspx
| KB977724 is a non-security update that allows support of .NET 4.0
| components within the Office 2007 system. This was published in a
| limited release through the Download Center in February, and more
| broadly through MU in March.

FWIW,
Freudi
From: Liz on
This fix helped me as well. Thank you.

Liz

From: jake1453 on
On Mar 12, 3:54 pm, Sam Theivagt <Sam
Theiv...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We have the same issue. There is also an issue of being unable to open
> (convert) .xlsm files. This only occurs on our Windows 2000 PCs with Office
> 2003 & the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack.
>
> 977724 updates MSO.DLL in
>
>    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12
>
> 977724 does not show up in Add/Remove programs, but I was able to find an
> older version of MSO.DLL in the Windows Installer patch cache:
>
> C:\WINNT\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109020090400000000000F01FEC\12­.0.6425\
>
> To verify that the problem is caused by the MSO.DLL from 977724, I renamed
> the MSO.DLL in
>
>    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12
>
> & copied the MSO.DLL I found in the patch cache to the above location. I was
> then able to open (convert) .docx files in Word 2003 & .xlsm files in Excel
> 2003.
>
> The version of MSO.DLL installed by 977724 is 12.0.6521.5000 & is dated
> 10/29/2009. The version from the patch cache is 12.0.6425.1000 & is dated
> 04/03/2009.
>
> I tired installing the hotfix from
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2010/03...
>
> It does NOT fix this issue.
>

> "Susan Bradley" wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:
> > > I did open a case:  Support Request Number - 1127134209
>
> > > As for your question on having 977724 installed, I don't know how to verify, other than going onto Microsoft Update, reviewing my update history, and it showing that I successfully installed 977724.
>
> > > ---
> > > frmsrcurl:http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/Unable-to-open-doc...
> > Office Sustained Engineering : Issues with Office after installing KB977724:
> >http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2010/03...
>
> > Check that out

I think this is also my problem. Of all the many thousands of users
out there who might be suffering from this issue, apparently caused by
a MS update, only a few will be sophisticated enough to mess around in
the innards of the programs to extract the relevant file. Many won't
know where to go to for help. I don't fancy doing it as if I mess it
up I have no idea what the consequences might be. Why aren't
Microsoft acknowledging this and removing the update? How can pressure
be applied? It's a disgrace.

Would an easier solution be to uninstall the updates which are
supposed to have caused the problem? Any downside to this?

thanks again
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See the Known Issues section ("This problem can occur if the file is saved
to a network location and then configured as a shared workbook) of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978474.

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB978474).

Or you can...

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following pages for assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)