From: Liz on
Susan:

Per my history, I too have 977724 installed. It does not, however, show up
under Add/Remove Programs.

I have not had the time to open a case as I am working on a deadline.

Liz

From: Susan Bradley on
Liz wrote:
> Susan:
>
> Per my history, I too have 977724 installed. It does not, however, show up
> under Add/Remove Programs.
>
> I have not had the time to open a case as I am working on a deadline.
>
> Liz
>
> "Susan Bradley" wrote:
>
>> Do you both have 977724 installed?
>> .

Office Sustained Engineering : Issues with Office after installing KB977724:
http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2010/03/11/issues-with-office-after-installing-kb977724.aspx

Check that out.
From: Chuey on
This is not an isolated incident, I have had the same issue as of March 10th.

It seems it affects users who are:

1) on Windows 2000 OS
2) Are running Office 2003
3) Have had the three security updates installed as of March 10th.

I too have a case number (1127128725) which has been no help whatsoever.
The aforementioned link also does not solve the issue as it is for a Server
oriented OS.

It seems to me that Microsoft should rectify this issue as it is clearly
their patch that created the incompatibility issues.

From: Sam Theivagt Sam on
We have the same issue. There is also an issue of being unable to open
(convert) .xlsm files. This only occurs on our Windows 2000 PCs with Office
2003 & the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack.

977724 updates MSO.DLL in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12

977724 does not show up in Add/Remove programs, but I was able to find an
older version of MSO.DLL in the Windows Installer patch cache:

C:\WINNT\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109020090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.6425\

To verify that the problem is caused by the MSO.DLL from 977724, I renamed
the MSO.DLL in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12

& copied the MSO.DLL I found in the patch cache to the above location. I was
then able to open (convert) .docx files in Word 2003 & .xlsm files in Excel
2003.

The version of MSO.DLL installed by 977724 is 12.0.6521.5000 & is dated
10/29/2009. The version from the patch cache is 12.0.6425.1000 & is dated
04/03/2009.

I tired installing the hotfix from

http://blogs.technet.com/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2010/03/11/issues-with-office-after-installing-kb977724.aspx

It does NOT fix this issue.

From: Chuey on
Sam,

That is a great find. I installed a previous version of the MSO.DLL which
has also solved my compatibility issue.

For informational purposes, others who are having an issue can try replacing
the MSO.DLL mentioned in Sam's post with this one which is also version
12.0.6425.1000:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmtyymntmwz

Hope this helps.

Microsoft should immediately issue another hotfix to resolve this issue so
we as consumers don't have to dig around and patch together solutions like
this on our own.