From: Andrew J. Kelly on
What Tibor said :). If you don't have the source code I would spend the few
hundred bucks to get a tool that can. And then be sure to put it in source
control.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi(a)hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:eHuxkBn1KHA.5004(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> But then how does Redgates' SQLCompare do it?
>
> Apparently it cracks the encryption. MS put in the WITH ENCRYPTION clause
> so we can "hide" definitions on a deployed installation. IT would be very
> strange if MS also provide functionality in their tools to crack that
> encryption - then why put it in in the first place? What other vendors do
> is a different thing.
>
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
> http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
>

> "tshad" <tfs(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>>> There are some hacking tools out there that may crack the encryption but
>>> essentially the answer is no you cant. You should always have source
>>> code in some sort of source control so you can recreate each of the
>>> objects. If you don't have the unencrypted source you are basically out
>>> of luck.
>>>
>> But then how does Redgates' SQLCompare do it?
>>
>> It can create entire scripts from a database, including the ones that are
>> encrypted to create another one.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom
>>> --
>>>
>>> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>>
>>> "tshad" <tfs(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: owner of databases
Next: CacheHitRatio