From: tshad on
I am trying to script a database and then create another database to see
what problems I may see converting to 2008.

But all the triggers and one stored procedure is encrypted so the scripting
stops right away.

Are the triggers normally encrypted.

Is there a way to tell the system script the data then encrypt the stored
procedures when I execute the database script?

I have dbo access to the database.

Thanks,

Tom

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
There are some hacking tools out there that may crack the encryption but
essentially the answer is no you cant. You should always have source code in
some sort of source control so you can recreate each of the objects. If you
don't have the unencrypted source you are basically out of luck.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: B.Smith on
If your only concern is to create a "Test" database, why not just do a
backup of the live database and a restore to the "Test" database using the
MOVE TO option (or using the GUI to restore, change the options on the
second tab).

From: tshad on

"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message
> There are some hacking tools out there that may crack the encryption but
> essentially the answer is no you cant. You should always have source code
> in some sort of source control so you can recreate each of the objects. If
> you don't have the unencrypted source you are basically out of luck.

But then how does Redgates' SQLCompare do it?

It can create entire scripts from a database, including the ones that are
encrypted to create another one.

Thanks

Tom

From: Tibor Karaszi on
> But then how does Redgates' SQLCompare do it?

Apparently it cracks the encryption. MS put in the WITH ENCRYPTION clause so
we can "hide" definitions on a deployed installation. IT would be very
strange if MS also provide functionality in their tools to crack that
encryption - then why put it in in the first place? What other vendors do is
a different thing.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>> There are some hacking tools out there that may crack the encryption but
>> essentially the answer is no you cant. You should always have source code
>> in some sort of source control so you can recreate each of the objects.
>> If you don't have the unencrypted source you are basically out of luck.
>>
> But then how does Redgates' SQLCompare do it?
>
> It can create entire scripts from a database, including the ones that are
> encrypted to create another one.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>> --
>>
>> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>
>> "tshad" <tfs(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>>> I am trying to script a database and then create another database to see
>>> what problems I may see converting to 2008.
>>>
>>> But all the triggers and one stored procedure is encrypted so the
>>> scripting stops right away.
>>>
>>> Are the triggers normally encrypted.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell the system script the data then encrypt the
>>> stored procedures when I execute the database script?
>>>
>>> I have dbo access to the database.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

 |  Next  |  Last