From: monkjr on
I use several identities in OE6 using WIN XP PRO. When having to recreate
these identities on a new computer, the folder structure I created for
storing contacts in my shared Windows address book, as you know, is lost
during import or export. While researching the Internet for instructions on
how to have a unique address book for each identity, I found several
references, including the following, which provide instructions for doing so:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1411/54s11/54s11.asp&emid=97308

Here is a quote from the above link.

"Inside the Address Book box, select Tools and then Options. You will be
presented with the Options dialog box, which will give you two choices. The
first choice, Share Contact Information, gives you a single address book for
all identities. The second choice, Do Not Share, lets each identity have its
own address book. Choose whichever option is appropriate for your situation."

My address book does not have Options option under the Tools menu. Nor does
it have the choices described above located anywhere in my menu structure.

Did these choices exist at one time in a previous version of the address
book? Why is this not possible with the address book in OE6? Does anyone
have a solution that does not require manually editing the register?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Hint: It's not 2003 anymore (and that article was already outdated when it
was put online in Nov-03).

See http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm#wabexe

From: Michael Santovec on
All identities within a single Windows logon share a single WAB file.
That WAB file has a private section for each identity plus a Shared
Contacts section available to all Identities.

The author of the article you quoted didn't understand what he was
talking about.

When a suitable version of Office Outlook (98 or 2000 in IMO) installed,
you get the option to have OE Share (use) the Outlook contacts instead
of the OE WAB file.

For information on working with the WAB file, see:
The Windows Address Book (WAB)
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us