From: rks on
Hi
Does anyone know how the DEVICE_CAPABILTIES.UniqueId is handled for
Usb composite devices and the individual device interfaces ?

We are observing that the uniqueId field is not being set in the
individual interface function devices - but only for the composite
device itself.

Hence the question -

TIA
From: Tim Roberts on
rks <raraks(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how the DEVICE_CAPABILTIES.UniqueId is handled for
>Usb composite devices and the individual device interfaces ?
>
>We are observing that the uniqueId field is not being set in the
>individual interface function devices - but only for the composite
>device itself.

Well, the interface ID's (eg, MI_01) are unique only within the composite
device's "bus"...

May I ask why this matters?
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: rks on
On Jun 21, 9:25 pm, Tim Roberts <timr(a)probo.com> wrote:
> rks <raraks(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how the DEVICE_CAPABILTIES.UniqueId is handled for
> >Usb composite devices and the individual device interfaces ?
>
> >We are observing that the uniqueId field is not being set in the
> >individual interface function devices - but only for the composite
> >device itself.
>
> Well, the interface ID's (eg, MI_01) are unique only within the composite
> device's "bus"...
>
> May I ask why this matters?
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

It apparently matters to some third party software that makes use of
the uniqueId field to "uniquely" identify devices on the usb bus - and
fails with such composite device interfaces that dont have this
uniqueId bit set.

Thanks
From: Doron Holan [MSFT] on
the unique ID field means it is unique on the system. the underlying
composite parent device has a serial number, it will will have this field
set to true. it will not set it for each child b/c each child function does
not have its own system unique ID that the composite bus can generate