From: TomH on
Hi,

I would like to wrap a driver for a USB wireless 802.11g stick, in a driver
that makes the stick appear to the OS as a wired gig10 device, and
automatically connect via DHCP.

The connection and device parameters can be stored on local disk.

Are there any wireless chipset providers that ship windows driver source
files?

are there any examples of wrapping one driver in another like that I can
take a look at?

are there device manufacturers that provide sdk for their USB wireless sticks
Thanks
Tom

ps I am a total newbie, so I am unlikely to actually achieve the result but
I am interested to see how far I get...

From: Pavel A. on
"TomH" <TomH(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to wrap a driver for a USB wireless 802.11g stick, in a
> driver
> that makes the stick appear to the OS as a wired gig10 device, and
> automatically connect via DHCP.
>
> The connection and device parameters can be stored on local disk.

Yes, possible - especially for NDIS5 driver.
You will need to make a NDIS IM "filter" driver.
More work for a NDIS6 driver.

> Are there any wireless chipset providers that ship windows driver source
> files?

There are several wi-fi drivers in Linux. Porting these to Windows is
definitely
possible, though it is not a simple project for a beginner.

> are there any examples of wrapping one driver in another like that I can
> take a look at?

See NDIS IM samples.

> are there device manufacturers that provide sdk for their USB wireless
> sticks
> Thanks
> Tom
> ps I am a total newbie, so I am unlikely to actually achieve the result
> but
> I am interested to see how far I get...

Depends on how you are motivated... why you need this?

Good luck.
--pa