From: Jeff MacDonald on
Hi Everyone,

One of my developers is reporting a problem on our Live server but not our devel server.

Specifically when someon uploads a photo taken by a KODAK EASYSHARE C813, and that image gets processed by imagecreatefromjpeg(), the function returns false.

Our Devel Server Info [this works fine]
PHP Version : 5.2.6-3
GD Version: 2.0 or higher.
EXIF Version: 1.4

Our Live Server Info [this one is the one that fails]
PHP Version: 5.2.13
GD Version : 2.0.34 compatible
EXIF Version : 1.4

To see an example of this in action,

Working function : http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php?i=w
Not working function : http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php?i=n

http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php.txt is the code.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of where to look next?

Jeff.
From: Daniel Brown on
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:26, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(a)bignose.ca> wrote:
[snip!]

> To see an example of this in action,
>
> Working function : http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php?i=w
> Not working function : http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php?i=n
>
> http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php.txt is the code.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of where to look next?

If your code is an accurate representation, and not just an
example to demonstrate the function source in action, then that's your
problem (which I doubt, of course), as you're specifically calling the
value of $_GET['i'] to determine which static image to display. Also,
you use $_GET['i'] == w. Since 'w' is not a constant, it will revert
to using the literal w, but that's not such great form there, Spanky.
;-P

Is the image loaded from the local filesystem directly, or is it
using an HTTP or other over-the-wire call? If it's not local, check
to ensure that you have the URL fopen option enabled.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
From: Daniel Brown on
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:26, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(a)bignose.ca> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> One of my developers is reporting a problem on our Live server but not our devel server.
[snip!]

> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of where to look next?

Error logs. See what the non-working error logs show for that.

From: Richard Quadling on
On 16 June 2010 15:26, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(a)bignose.ca> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> One of my developers is reporting a problem on our Live server but not our devel server.
>
> Specifically when someon uploads a photo taken by a KODAK EASYSHARE C813, and that image gets processed by imagecreatefromjpeg(), the function returns false.
>
> Our Devel Server Info [this works fine]
>        PHP Version : 5.2.6-3
>        GD Version: 2.0 or higher.
>        EXIF Version: 1.4
>
> Our Live Server Info [this one is the one that fails]
>        PHP Version: 5.2.13
>        GD Version : 2.0.34 compatible
>        EXIF Version : 1.4
>
> To see an example of this in action,
>
> Working function : http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php?i=w
> Not working function : http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php?i=n
>
> http://www.equipmentsearch.com/~jeff/tmp/image.php.txt is the code.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of where to look next?
>
> Jeff.

The @ is suppressing this notice ...

Notice: imagecreatefromjpeg(): gd-jpeg, libjpeg: recoverable error:
Corrupt JPEG data: 31 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd9

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Jeff MacDonald on
> If your code is an accurate representation, and not just an
> example to demonstrate the function source in action, then that's your
> problem (which I doubt, of course), as you're specifically calling the
> value of $_GET['i'] to determine which static image to display. Also,
> you use $_GET['i'] == w. Since 'w' is not a constant, it will revert
> to using the literal w, but that's not such great form there, Spanky.
> ;-P

I'm a sys admin, not a php developer. So I hacked up just enough code to demonstrate how the function was failing.

> Is the image loaded from the local filesystem directly, or is it
> using an HTTP or other over-the-wire call? If it's not local, check
> to ensure that you have the URL fopen option enabled.

They're both local. The next poster in the this thread answered this for me anyways.

Jeff.