From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by an
expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

From: Dennis on
Downloaded MRT.exe and ran it. Nothing found. McAfee, SuperAntiSpyware,
nor Malwarebytes finds anything.
I downloaded this fix for the time stamp but it won't run.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832936
It says that update\update.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Where to begin?

> I downloaded this fix for the time stamp but it won't run.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832936
> It says that update\update.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

The "not a valid Win32 application" error is yet another symptom of the
hijackware infection. That being said, KB832936 (W32time.dll
v5.1.2600.1322) wouldn't install anyway since you've got WinXP SP3
(W32time.dll v5.1.2600.5512) installed.

> Downloaded MRT.exe and ran it. Nothing found. McAfee, SuperAntiSpyware,
> nor Malwarebytes finds anything.

Now move on to Steps #2a and #3 in my previous reply.

From: Dennis on
Ok, I went to:
in Safe Mode with Networking and ran the scan.
So far, I have not heard the "Critical Stop" tone since.
I hope it stays that way...

Thanks