From: Lobster on
I've got a Huawei E160 dongle for my netbook from VirginMedia, with whom
I'm just coming to the end of a 12 month contract (the 5GBP / 1Gb/month
one).

Does anyone know if I can get VM to unlock this for free now, in the
same way that you would with a mobile phone? If so is it straightforward?

I'm particularly interested in doing so in order to ne able to stick
other SIMs in the dongle at will, especially when going abroad (at �5/Mb
when roaming VM is not a wonderful deal) - are there in general good
options around for this? Or may I as well stick with my locked VM dongle?

Thanks
David
From: R. Mark Clayton on
Just do a Google for USB 3g dongle, tons of these came up accidentally when
I did.
--

regards

Mark

--

R. Mark Clayton

From: Theo Markettos on
Lobster <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if I can get VM to unlock this for free now, in the
> same way that you would with a mobile phone? If so is it straightforward?

Worth a try. Give them a ring. If they will give you an unlock code,
I think there's an option somewhere you can enter it to unlock. Or maybe
you need to use another tool (I imagine there's an AT... command to supply
the unlock code, but I don't know what it is)

Otherwise, just google 'E160 unlock'. I did that a while ago (O2 were
offering the E160 for a tenner) and I think there are some free unlock
options out there.

Theo
From: Paulg0 on
"Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> Lobster <davidlobsterpot601(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if I can get VM to unlock this for free now, in the
>> same way that you would with a mobile phone? If so is it straightforward?
>
> Worth a try. Give them a ring. If they will give you an unlock code,
> I think there's an option somewhere you can enter it to unlock. Or maybe
> you need to use another tool (I imagine there's an AT... command to supply
> the unlock code, but I don't know what it is)
>
> Otherwise, just google 'E160 unlock'. I did that a while ago (O2 were
> offering the E160 for a tenner) and I think there are some free unlock
> options out there.

I had an O2 E160 and it came unlocked from new

Paul