From: mcp6453 on
Sorry this group is the wrong one, but I cannot find one for France. My
daughter is leaving for France. Her Verizon CDMA cell phone will not
work there. The last time I went to the UK, I purchased a used mobile
phone on arrival and then purchased a top off card. Problem solved. That
was a long time ago. Is it possible to readily find someone in Paris who
will sell her a used mobile phone at a reasonable price? Can someone
suggest a reputable seller or web site? Thanks!
From: R. Mark Clayton on

"mcp6453" <mcp6453(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry this group is the wrong one, but I cannot find one for France. My
> daughter is leaving for France. Her Verizon CDMA cell phone will not work
> there. The last time I went to the UK, I purchased a used mobile phone on
> arrival and then purchased a top off card. Problem solved. That was a long
> time ago. Is it possible to readily find someone in Paris who will sell
> her a used mobile phone at a reasonable price? Can someone suggest a
> reputable seller or web site? Thanks!

All Europe uses GSM mobile phones (and 3G ones, but AFAIK all of them will
fall back to GSM on 1800MHz or 900MHz.

GSM phones are available in all EU countries and IIRC USA

From: Woody on
"mcp6453" <mcp6453(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry this group is the wrong one, but I cannot find one for
> France. My daughter is leaving for France. Her Verizon CDMA
> cell phone will not work there. The last time I went to the UK,
> I purchased a used mobile phone on arrival and then purchased a
> top off card. Problem solved. That was a long time ago. Is it
> possible to readily find someone in Paris who will sell her a
> used mobile phone at a reasonable price? Can someone suggest a
> reputable seller or web site? Thanks!

She should be able to buy a Pay As You Go phone easily in France.
If my memory serves me correctly it is illegal to lock a phone to
a supplier in France, so if she buys one on Orange and doesn't
find their service adequate she only has to buy a SFR card.

One thing to be wary of - the way the PAYG phones work over
there. Unlike here in the UK where usage of the phone is enough
to keep it going to only way to maintain service in France is to
top up the card. I got caught out with it: if you don't top up at
least every two months then the phone stops working and you loose
all of your credit - or something like that. In other words read
the small print.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

From: mcp6453 on
On 5/29/2010 2:47 PM, Woody wrote:
> "mcp6453" <mcp6453(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry this group is the wrong one, but I cannot find one for
>> France. My daughter is leaving for France. Her Verizon CDMA
>> cell phone will not work there. The last time I went to the UK,
>> I purchased a used mobile phone on arrival and then purchased a
>> top off card. Problem solved. That was a long time ago. Is it
>> possible to readily find someone in Paris who will sell her a
>> used mobile phone at a reasonable price? Can someone suggest a
>> reputable seller or web site? Thanks!
>

> She should be able to buy a Pay As You Go phone easily in France.
> If my memory serves me correctly it is illegal to lock a phone to
> a supplier in France, so if she buys one on Orange and doesn't
> find their service adequate she only has to buy a SFR card.
>
> One thing to be wary of - the way the PAYG phones work over
> there. Unlike here in the UK where usage of the phone is enough
> to keep it going to only way to maintain service in France is to
> top up the card. I got caught out with it: if you don't top up at
> least every two months then the phone stops working and you loose
> all of your credit - or something like that. In other words read
> the small print.

Since posting this query, I realized that I have a number of GSM phones that I
don't use. I was able to find a Sony Ericsson Z520A that was locked to my USA
carrier, AT&T. After a call to them, we were able to unlock the phone, so my
daughter is en route with that phone in her suitcase. There is no SIM card in
the phone. Will she be able to buy a SIM card to top off with that phone when
she gets there?

She is only going to be there for three weeks, so there is no problem with
keeping the minutes active. While she should have little need for the phone, it
will be great to have for emergencies, if a SIM card and service can be
purchased at a reasonable price.
From: Woody on
> On 5/29/2010 2:47 PM, Woody wrote:
>> "mcp6453" <mcp6453(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry this group is the wrong one, but I cannot find one for
>>> France. My daughter is leaving for France. Her Verizon CDMA
>>> cell phone will not work there. The last time I went to the
>>> UK,
>>> I purchased a used mobile phone on arrival and then purchased
>>> top off card. Problem solved. That was a long time ago. Is it
>>> possible to readily find someone in Paris who will sell her a
>>> used mobile phone at a reasonable price? Can someone suggest
>>> reputable seller or web site? Thanks!
>>

>> She should be able to buy a Pay As You Go phone easily in
>> France.
>> If my memory serves me correctly it is illegal to lock a phone
>> a supplier in France, so if she buys one on Orange and doesn't
>> find their service adequate she only has to buy a SFR card.
>>
>> One thing to be wary of - the way the PAYG phones work over
>> there. Unlike here in the UK where usage of the phone is
>> enough
>> to keep it going to only way to maintain service in France is
>> top up the card. I got caught out with it: if you don't top up
>> at
>> least every two months then the phone stops working and you
>> loose
>> all of your credit - or something like that. In other words
>> read
>> the small print.
>
> Since posting this query, I realized that I have a number of
> GSM phones that I
> don't use. I was able to find a Sony Ericsson Z520A that was
> locked to my USA
> carrier, AT&T. After a call to them, we were able to unlock the
> phone, so my
> daughter is en route with that phone in her suitcase. There is
> no SIM card in
> the phone. Will she be able to buy a SIM card to top off with
> that phone when
> she gets there?
>
> She is only going to be there for three weeks, so there is no
> problem with
> keeping the minutes active. While she should have little need
> for the phone, it
> will be great to have for emergencies, if a SIM card and
> service can be
> purchased at a reasonable price.

Last time I got one (maybe 6 years ago) the card cost ?15 and the
top-up (mandatory) was also ?15. Look on www.sfr.fr or
www.orange.fr if you can get by in French.