From: smcc on

I am running Windows XP Home SP3. Recently at startup and on return from
hibernation I get an autorun which directs me to install the software
which came with a WD eternal hard disk that I use for backup. I have
never installed this software as I use Norton 360 to perform the backup.

I have deleted the appropriate .exe files from the WD folder but the
autorun problem persists, despite the autorun file not being found by
the Windows search facility.
The problem annoys me as it slows down the boot process. Can anyone
help?

--
smcc
smcc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/69807.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Jose on
On Dec 14, 3:33 pm, smcc <smcc.437...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home SP3. Recently at startup and on return from
> hibernation I get an autorun which directs me to install the software
> which came with a WD eternal hard disk that I use for backup. I have
> never installed this software as I use Norton 360 to perform the backup.
>
> I have deleted the appropriate .exe files from the WD folder but the
> autorun problem persists, despite the autorun file not being found by
> the Windows search facility.
> The problem annoys me as it slows down the boot process. Can anyone
> help?
>
> --
> smcc
> smcc's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/69807.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1282322.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

There's an app for that:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
From: peter on
I want one of those eternal hard disks
does it last till eternity???

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Shenan Stanley on
peter wrote:
> I want one of those eternal hard disks
> does it last till eternity???

.... give or take a forever ...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Shenan Stanley on
smcc wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home SP3. Recently at startup and on return
> from hibernation I get an autorun which directs me to install the
> software which came with a WD eternal hard disk that I use for
> backup. I have never installed this software as I use Norton 360 to
> perform the backup.
>
> I have deleted the appropriate .exe files from the WD folder but the
> autorun problem persists, despite the autorun file not being found
> by the Windows search facility.
> The problem annoys me as it slows down the boot process. Can anyone
> help?

Assuming you meant external - disconnect it when you boot. hah

Or show hidden and system files and delete the autorun.inf from the root of
the external hard disk drive (it's not the EXE doing it) or turn off autorun
completely.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP