From: Steve Rindsberg on
I'm wondering if you're getting bit by a hidden "feature" of PowerPoint 2007.
Is that the version you have?

If so, it may be compressing your images when you save, and that might have
unwanted effects like what you're seeing.

Have a look here for more info and a possible fix:

PowerPoint 2007 makes pictures blurry, loses GIF animation
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00862.htm

In article <0EFD438E-17AA-4409-8BD5-6B9AE15BC330(a)microsoft.com>, Lachlan(a)FYL
wrote:
> The borders appear in the presentation mode. I haven't tried to crop within
> PowerPoint because there isn't sufficient space around the picture within the
> frame, but I can recreate the pictures and try this.
>
> The weird thing is that when I import the images they're fine. When I make
> the background transparent they're still fine, but as soon as save the
> document or I try to animate the slide, the borders appear...??
>
> "Jaime" wrote:
>
> > Are you saying aren't just some type of artifact in the edit mode, but that
> > the borders stay even when you are in the presentation mode (or print)?
> >
> > If so, they may be on the jpeg itself, have you tried using the crop tool on
> > the Picture toolbar to remove the border?
> > --
> > James
> > Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida
> >
> > "Lachlan(a)FYL" <Lachlan(a)FYL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have imported JPEG pictures to build and animate a larger diagram. When
> > > click on the custom animation button (i.e. before I even add animations to
> > > the pictures), I see a thin black border on the top and left edges of each
> > > image.
> > >
> > > The images are regular JPEGs, but I have selected to make the white
> > > background colours transparent using the recolour options in PowerPoint.
> > >
> > > The unwanted borders are not removed by any of the regular picture border
> > > settings.
> > >
> > > How can I remove these unwanted borders or prevent them?
> >
> > .

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint