From: Nathan on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Nathan wrote:
>> Do I really need .NET Framework 3.5?
>
> Don't know.
>
> I would gather that if you have it uninstalled now and nothing else is *not*
> working - you don't/didn't need it.
>
> The .NET Frameworks are just bases for software writers to use in their
> applications if they so desire - so their code doesn't have to be quite so
> large and so that they have access to some internal mechanisms in
> easier/better ways.
>
> Unfortunately - the .NET Frameworks were not cumulative. 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5
> and soon 4.0. Yay.
>
> Do you *need* any/all of them - depends on what you have installed. Most
> applications will tell you that you need them and/or offer to install them
> if they do need them. ;-)
>
> At this point - if the machine was mine - I would follow these directions:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ea20ba99-017e-4ae0-975b-1ef8b771dff8
>
> In other words... Use the .NET Cleanup Tool (Method 2), reboot and install
> the .NET Updates in this order:
>
> - .Net Framework 3.5
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6)
> - .Net Framework 1.1
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&amp;)
> - .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&amp;)
>
> Should be good to go.
>
> Needs repeating in full?
> When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
> receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
>
> =====================
>
> Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
> versions are currently installed:
>
> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article...
>
> When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0,
> or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows
> Installer error code "1603" (ignore the title, if need be)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
>
> After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, reinstall all .NET Framework
> versions (but only the ones you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the
> download links on the page then run Windows Update manually to install
> security updates for same.
>
> NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
> Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
> Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
>
> IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
> Framework versions in the following order:

> [...]
So far so good, that did it. Too bad that I had to jump through hoops to
have it done.
All this time that I was trying to fix it I turned off the Automatic
Update. Do you think I can turn it back on? Scarred to touch anything so
it won't set me back somewhere else.
Thank you for being so patient and helping out.
Nathan
From: Shenan Stanley on
<snip>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain/browse_frm/thread/1e3e5da20a1fc839/

Nathan wrote:
> So far so good, that did it. Too bad that I had to jump through
> hoops to have it done.
> All this time that I was trying to fix it I turned off the Automatic
> Update. Do you think I can turn it back on? Scarred to touch
> anything so it won't set me back somewhere else.
> Thank you for being so patient and helping out.

On my Windows XP machines (personal) I have automatic updates set to "Notify
me but don't automatically download or install them" and generally when I
get notified, I visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and do a custom
scan for updates and review/install what it finds under all categories other
than "Optional Hardware" as I see fit. Some I will hide, some I will
install.

In this way I still get notified of updates when they are released
(out-of-band in particular) - but I have the control, I make the decision on
what is to be installed and it gives me the time to take any extra
precautions I deem necessary first. Most of the time it is nothing more
than an extra backups, system state backup - sometimes it can be a full
image of my system partition. Depends on what I discover (I will lurk the
newsgroups here - particularly the WindowsUpdate newsgroup - and see if
others start reporting issues before I do anything.)

I'm glad you have things sorted thus far!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Nathan on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
<snip>
> Nathan wrote:
>> So far so good, that did it. Too bad that I had to jump through
>> hoops to have it done.
>> All this time that I was trying to fix it I turned off the Automatic
>> Update. Do you think I can turn it back on? Scarred to touch
>> anything so it won't set me back somewhere else.
>> Thank you for being so patient and helping out.
>
> On my Windows XP machines (personal) I have automatic updates set to "Notify
> me but don't automatically download or install them" and generally when I
> get notified, I visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and do a custom
> scan for updates and review/install what it finds under all categories other
> than "Optional Hardware" as I see fit. Some I will hide, some I will
> install.
>
> In this way I still get notified of updates when they are released
> (out-of-band in particular) - but I have the control, I make the decision on
> what is to be installed and it gives me the time to take any extra
> precautions I deem necessary first. Most of the time it is nothing more
> than an extra backups, system state backup - sometimes it can be a full
> image of my system partition. Depends on what I discover (I will lurk the
> newsgroups here - particularly the WindowsUpdate newsgroup - and see if
> others start reporting issues before I do anything.)
>
> I'm glad you have things sorted thus far!

Thanks again...one more question... how do I HIDE and update?
Nathan
From: Shenan Stanley on
<snip>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain/browse_frm/thread/1e3e5da20a1fc839/

<snipped>

Nathan wrote:
> Thanks again...one more question... how do I HIDE and update?

Look through these:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/514829-solved-how-do-you-hide.html
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/how-to-hide-updates/167130.html
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/549799-hide-windows-update.html