From: K Ritter K on
Windows 7 has been automatically installing Update for Microsoft XML Core
Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB973688) for a few days
now. Every time it does, my sound system ceases to work. I have to restore
my box to its settings before the update was installed in order to hear
anything from my speakers; just today I had music playing at 8:25 and after
the update finished installing at 8:30, and no settings had been changed (I
was in the other room), the sound was no longer there. Volume control, etc
still acts as though sound is feeding through, but it doesn't.

Thanks for your help.

From: Shenan Stanley on
K Ritter wrote:
> Windows 7 has been automatically installing Update for Microsoft
> XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems
> (KB973688) for a few days now. Every time it does, my sound system
> ceases to work. I have to restore my box to its settings before
> the update was installed in order to hear anything from my
> speakers; just today I had music playing at 8:25 and after the
> update finished installing at 8:30, and no settings had been
> changed (I was in the other room), the sound was no longer there.
> Volume control, etc still acts as though sound is feeding through,
> but it doesn't.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Download/install the latest drivers/software for your sound device.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP