From: andym21 on
Hi have just got a new pc with win 7 premium, managed to get updates last
weekend, but now keep getting error 80070005. I`ve tried to re-install win
update, but it just comes back with an unrecoverable error...no codes tho.
Ant suggestions?
From: MowGreen on

andym21 wrote:
> Hi have just got a new pc with win 7 premium, managed to get updates last
> weekend, but now keep getting error 80070005. I`ve tried to re-install win
> update, but it just comes back with an unrecoverable error...no codes tho.
> Ant suggestions?

Red or black, that's the only ants I'm aware of.

80070005 is an Access Denied error that is most likely stemming from:

a. Security software
b. Incorrectly applied Permissions or updating from a User Account that
does not have sufficient Permissions.
c. A previous release of the Windows Update Agent is installed that is
affecting Permissions.
c. Malware

> I`ve tried to re-install win update, but it just comes back with an unrecoverable error.

To be clear here, you tried to reinstall the updating components or the
updates that failed to install ?
Though I doubt it, perhaps you tried to 'reset' the updating components
using this KB ?: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
That page states that it's not for Win 7. As to why, I don't know as it
works for Vista.

Strongly suggest that you download and *save* the latest release of the
Windows Update Agent (WUA) from the links on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Be sure to download the WUA that matches the architecture of the system.
eg. x86, 32 bit or x64, 64 bit. That information is readily available by
opening System in Control Panel under 'System', next to 'System type'

Once the download completes configure Windows 7 to clean boot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Restart the system to the clean boot state.
Stop the Windows Update and BITS service, if started.
You'll need to open the Services console by clicking the Start orb and
typing services.msc in the Search field.
Click on services.msc under Programs and agree to the UAC prompt.
Locate Background Intelligent Background Service (BITS) and the Windows
Update services and Stop them for now.
DO NOT DISABLE either of them for Startup type.
For Startup type, BITS should be set to Manual, Windows Update to
Automatic (Delayed Start)
If the above are the Startup types, you can close the Services console now.

*Right* click the downloaded and saved WUA and choose 'Run as
administrator'; follow the UAC prompts to allow it to run Elevated.
Restart to the *same clean boot state* after it's installed.

Now see if the system can update.
If yes, then Security software was interfering with updating.
If not, then either Security software has changed the Default
Permissions or, malware may have.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Andy,

80070005 is an Access Denied; Permissions issue.

The installed secuяity software (antivirus/security suite/3rd party
firewall/popup/script/or cookie blocker) is preventing the system from "
Applicability evaluation for setup package "

Temporarily disable any third-party real-time system protections (e.g.,
anti-virus; anti-spyware; firewall)

Look to the installed security software as being the cause.
[antivirus/anti-malware/cookie or popup blocker/or, any security
software that monitors the registry keys for changes]
-=-

That's a permission error (access denied), try resetting the security
settings back to the defaults:

How to reset security settings back to the defaults
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222>

Make sure you're running as an administrator.

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

From: MowGreen on
The Fixit here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
specifies it's not for Windows 7 when accessing the page in Win7, Engel.
As to why ... ask the Fixit guys ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com

From: Ǝиçεl on
Hi Steve,

My bad. I should have read the section
“View products that this article applies to”. kb/313222

Next time I will ask them, they frequently shop at the 7 - 11

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-