From: Enzo on
> When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

I think you are going down the wrong bunny hole, but I will play along
5/22/2008, its a Dell T3400 running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I have applied
every update that has been sent down by Windows Update.

> The AVG free-trial had already expired when you reinstalled MSE, yes?

I thought I was clear. I uinstalled MSE, then installed AVG, AVG expired,
then I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled MSE

> May I ask why you'd uninstalled MSE and then installed the AVG free-trial?
> (I presume you didn't have both of them installed at the same time, right?)

I cannot have both installed at the same time. I had another issue with a
previous windows update and I was told to check for malware/virus.
Everything checked out I have never had a virus or malware it was a
precaution because MS did not trust MSE and the support person asked me to do
it only for it to be WUS cache problem, so I did. It is impossible to have
them both running at the same time.

> I suspect the User Accounts without Admin privileges may have been
> damaged/corrupted by AVG...or even possibly gotten infected while the AVG
> free-trial was installed or after the free-trial period had expired but
> before you got MSE (re)installed.

I do not understand the logic.....if the fonts where fine before the update
but not working after the update what does AVG or MSE have to do with
anything related to the fonts. If its a simple file permission problem,
then what is the script I can run to reset all the fonts? Maybe I am thick,
but if there was a script to set the permissions, then there could be a
script to undo the permissions or am i missing something?

Or, here is a better one that could help. Give me the permissions to apply
to a few fonts to make IE work and I can apply those permissions and see if
IE works and then we have a solution. Right now, I have no idea how to
proceed.

Enzo

From: MowGreen on
> Perhaps this is just me, but my computer worked fine before the update and I
> had just finished a paper for work. Then I installed the update and now I
> have no fonts as a "standard" user. HOWEVER, if I run as local Administartor
> everything works fine. What does the AntiVirus have to do with my Fonts and
> the Font permission upgrade?

Enzo,

Have you tried uninstalling the update to see if the Perms are set back
to they way they were before it was installed ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Bernd Wind Bernd on
I got simular the same, Also a new install of the System with Recovery didn`t
solve the Problem. There is also a known update Problem by McAfee. Maybe it
can be solved by writing into the registry Files. If anyone has suggesten
wich Files in the registery need to be changend.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See Mow's reply (i.e., see if uninstalling the update, if that's even
possible, corrects the problem).

> I thought I was clear. I uinstalled MSE, then installed AVG, AVG expired,
> then I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled MSE.

Yes, I just wanted to make certain I had it right: You should have
uninstalled the free trial & (re)installed MSE *before* the free trial
period expired. Running even a few hours without up-to-date definitions is
more than enough time for a computer to get infected (not that any version
of AVG, up-to-date or not, would effectively protect a computer IMHO).

> [computer was purchased] 5/22/2008

OK: MSE Beta first became available in late June 2009. What anti-virus
application was installed before you installed MSE beta?

> ...I had another issue with a
> previous windows update and I was told to check for malware/virus.
> Everything checked out I have never had a virus or malware it was a
> precaution because MS did not trust MSE

That's rich, especially if MS recommended any version of AVG over MSE.
(Then again, the support tech may have been thinking along the same lines as
I am right now.)

If you're seeing error messages referring to a "Permissions" problem, that's
another good sign of infection.

Again, I'm not saying the computer *is* infected, only that it's a very good
possibility.

From: Ǝиçεl on
0x800700C1 -2147024703 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT is not a valid Win32 application

That error usually indicates the file is corяupt.
-=-