From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
....or a hijackware infection.

From: Enzo on

Ok, I was up till about 2am last night and I can both repro the problem and
solve it (thankfully!)

First off, I am a software engineer which means nothing except I have tools
and systems at my disposal to play and diagnose issues

I hate to deal with MS Update issues because I have enough of my own issues
in software my company developes

I was able to trace what the update was doing.

First off, lets be clear -- this IS NOT a virus/malware issue. Second, the
Error 800700C1 is generic and I have seen it before and it can be anything
from a currupted file, or as I will explain, a file that was locked.

Here is how I repro'd the problem:

Bascially, I did what I did before I saw the problem --

1) Open up Excel and edit a workbook
2) Open up Word and edit a document
3) Open up Pandora to listen to some tunes
4) Login to Windows Live Messenger
5) Open up the Snipping Tool
6) Open up Paint
7) Open up Olympus Master
8) I have the following gadgets running, Clock, RSS News feed, Calculator
and Currency Checker
9) On my taskbar icons on the right hand side I have the icons for the
following which means some stub is

running: MSE, Spyder3Elite, Windows Live Icon, Network Icon, and Babylon
Translator

I played with all the following apps editing, cut & paste and similar
activities I did the evening I had the problem.

Then, just like when I first had the problem, I shutdown the following:

1) Open up Excel and edit a workbook
2) Open up Word and edit a document
3) Open up Pandora to listen to some tunes
4) Login to Windows Live Messenger
5) Open up the Snipping Tool
6) Open up Paint
7) Open up Olympus Master

Then, i went to Start Menu --> All Programs --> Windows Update

I applied the update for KB980248 because it was ready to be downloaded and
installed. The install ran and then said it needed to reboot. I watched
on the screen Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 -- FAIL!

The Login screen appears, tada!!!! No more fonts in IE and Word 2007 once
again gets an out of memory error!

yeah!!

------------------
Ok, here is the fix (which took some serious time to trace). Some process,
program, something!!!! was using, holding onto or whatever to the Wingding
font which caused the WHOLE update to abort!!!

My next hurdle, I had to work around ANOTHER Vista/MSE Problem. I wanted to
shutdown all my applications during startup but when I went to Startup -->
Control Panel --> Change Startup Programs Vista Complained that I could not
because Defender was turned off when in fact it was MSE which had turned off
and disable Defender....after laughing histerically and throwing a book
across the room, I went and solved that problem. Once that problem was
solved, I shutdown all my startup applications. Then I rebooted. Now,
everything was shutdown. From another computer I downloaded and then
manually applied the update again. This time, for whatever reason, I was
NOT!! asked to reboot. I manually rebooted the machine, tada!!!! now
everything works again with all my users.

This is absolutely nuts!!!! This is why people get so P.o'd!!! Not
everyone has the time or skill to debug these issues and this is why people
turn off automatic updates. Seriously, MS missed some test cases or
conditions. They need to perhaps reboot the entire system first and make
sure nothing is running before applying this update. And, this Defender
issue is just awesome because either MSE or AVG made a mess or some stupid
assumption is being made with Defender -- WOW!

I am happy to be up and running again but truely a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!

This update is flawed IMHO! And if Office 2010 had a dependency, this is
going have some serious adoption issues.

Enzo

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/d22cf523e8dc5ba7

> My next hurdle, I had to work around ANOTHER Vista/MSE Problem. I wanted
> shutdown all my applications during startup but when I went to Startup -->
> Control Panel --> Change Startup Programs Vista Complained that I could
> not
> because Defender was turned off when in fact it was MSE which had turned
> off
> and disable Defender

Yes, installing MSE in Win7 or Vista disables Defender by default; cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

> ...this Defender
> issue is just awesome because either MSE or AVG made a mess or some stupid
> assumption is being made with with Defender...

To me, this suggests that MSE did not reinstall properly because (a) the
computer got infected while the AVG free-trial was installed and/or (b) you
allowed the free-trial period to expire before you uninstalled AVG & then
reinstalled MSE and/or (c) you neglected to download/run the AVG removal
tool/cleanup utility (cf. http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools) prior to
reinstalling MSE.

YMMV, of course, since you're the software engineer...
--
~PA Bear

From: Enzo on
> YMMV, of course, since you're the software engineer...
> --
> ~PA Bear

Ok, is that the way you want to play it...........

Because asking me when my computer was built was OHHH so helpfull!!!!! You
went down the virus path automatically assuming a incorrect problem and hey
after politely answering over and over again the process I took, you insisted
that still there was a NO infection problem right down to this point where I
specifically told you my solution....and look....not a virus issue....you
have an issue with the update...maybe look at that instead. And hey smart
guy, I did run AVG removal tool because here it is sitting in my download
folder. And hey, I can repro the problem on another machine....maybe that
has a virus issue too.

As I stated in my posts, the update ran once and failed and automatically
ran a second time and failed and the fix was to run it a third time.....if
the files where infected why would Word 07 have an file currupt error as a
standard user and not have ANY issue when run As Administrator? All stated
in prior posts!

Even if there was an issue with the files, then a simple conditional check
before applying the update and stopping the update from running would have
saved me hours of grief.

Once again, there was no infection, not before and not after and it was MS
that told me to try AVG because somehow it is always the fault of a virus and
not a QA issue. I solved it by tracing what the update was doing to the
files and found that it failed on a locked file....sue me for not bothering
to persue the actual process holding the font.

As you can see from other posts, others have had other issues NOTHING to do
with AVG or virus scanners.

You went down a path that provided ZERO help and I solved it on my own....so
thanks a lot mister expert and take a look that others are having a problems
and that perhaps the update has a real problem because you have at least
three more posts with people who are having problems and here at work we have
seen the update having additional issues so IT is going to block it....see
how well this goes for Office 2010 adoption.

The only time I have seen the update work (on Vista) is on a machine that
had a clean boot prior to doing the update or on our VM environment where
there is no other version of office installed.

YMMV, of course since your the MVP.....

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
Let's be fair ... about 99% of problems of this sort are caused by viruses (or
anti-virus software) even if more than one person is experiencing them and even
if there is no obvious connection.

Are you able to repro the problem again? It might be possible to use Handle to
determine what process is locking the file open. If we can identify a specific
piece of software, to simplify the repro process, it might be possible to get a
bug report to the right people and get the problem fixed.

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx

Updates aren't usually broken by locked files, mind you, so there might be
something a bit more subtle going on.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston